Chapter Eight- Home Base

"I'm going to have to step in here," Dream said, smirking as he parried Technoblade's every blow. It seemed they were evenly matched. 

"You've been training," Techno remarked as Dream's sword barely missed his face. 

"You haven't," Dream noted. 

"Haven't needed to," Techno huffed. 

"Well, you should start," Dream told him as he flicked his sword up to rest at Techno's throat. "You need it."

Technoblade growled softly, but he knew when he was beaten. He threw his sword to the ground. Dream's mask hid his face, but you could feel his smile. 

"Come with me," he said. Tommy stilled, breathing heavily, but Tubbo didn't seem to notice. "Why should we join you?" he asked. Dream turned toward him, sword still at Techno's neck. "Because you're not safe anywhere else," he answered. "Techno can find you anywhere you go." He turned toward the pigman as if daring him to deny it. Technoblade said nothing. Dream chuckled. "Yeah, I thought so." He glared at the pigman one more time, then sheathed his sword. "Leave us," he ordered, voice as cold as ice. Technoblade snarled, a sound that chilled your bones and sent a shiver down your spine, but he went, casting dark glares at all of you.

"Come on," Dream said again, turning away and striding into the forest. "You're not safe anywhere else. Joining me is the best option." 

"It's kind of our only option," Tommy pointed out. Dream shot him a glare and he went silent again. "What's wrong with him talking?" Tubbo asked sharply, finally noticing. "He can talk," Dream corrected. "I'm not doing anything."

"Well, what do you think, Y/N?" Tubbo asked. "Should we go with him?" 

You considered that. "I think it's our best chance at safety, at least for now."

"Alright then," Tubbo decided. "We'll come. Where's your base?"

Dream pointed with his sword. "Northeast of here. I'll take you." He paused, considering something. "Techno should be able to find it though. It's not very well hidden. I've relied on my own skill to protect it so far, but now it might be too dangerous to stay in for long."

"Don't worry about that," you said. "I can fix that no problem. I'm great with security and camouflage stuff."

Dream gave you an impressed look. "In that case, you can help get my place hidden," he said. "Let's go."

He ran off into the trees and you all followed. The base was only a short distance away. You stopped in a part of the forest that seemed like any other forest area. 

"What's so important about here?" Tommy asked. "It's literally just trees. No base, unless it's invisible."

"That would be pretty cool," you commented. 

"It's not invisible," Dream said, sounding amused. "It's over here." He pointed to a tree that had a hole hear the roots. The hole went straight down for as far as you could see. 

"How far does that go down?" Tubbo asked incredulously. 

"Far," Dream answered helpfully, leaping in. "Come on!" You sighed and dropped in after him. You weren't sure how long you fell before landing with a splash in a small pool. A short ledge kept the water from filling the rest of the room. Dream waited on the other side. You climbed out of the water just as Tommy and Tubbo fell in, dousing all of you with a large wave.

"That was fun!" Tommy said cheerfully. Tubbo grinned at him.

"As you can see, this place isn't very secure," Dream told you. "Y/N, you'll work on that soon, right?" You nodded and he went on. "It's a very big place, though, so you children can go explore."

Tommy frowned at him. "I am not a child!" he huffed. "Yes you are," Dream answered dismissively. "Go play with Tubbo. There's a water balloon arena over there, why don't you try that?" Tommy glared at him. "I AM NOT A- wait there's a water balloon arena?" You smiled as Tommy grabbed Tubbo's arm and darted off in the direction Dream had indicated.

"So what ideas do you have for improving the security of this place?" Dream asked, leading you to an elevator. "Depends on how good whoever's trying to get in is with ender pearls," you answered. 

"You should already know that I'm skilled with mostly everything," Dream pointed out. "But I think it's safe to assume that the younger ones probably don't have much experience with those."

"Probably not," you agreed. "You'll just have to teach them."

"Wait, why do I have to do it?" he protested, sounding slightly alarmed. "You're making the system."

"Exactly," you agreed. "So I won't have time to teach them. Plus, you're better at it." You paused, considering that. "Wait. Actually, I'm not sure about that." Dream gave a huff of laughter. "Okay, this I have to see," he said. "Don't be so prideful," you told him. "Maybe I am better."

"And maybe you're not," he finished, smirking. 

"Let's find out," you challenged. "Oh, you are so on," Dream agreed confidently.

(Five minutes later...)

"Last one," you said, pointing to a floating block just barely inside your render distance. "That's kind of far," Dream pointed out. "Scared?" you teased. "NO," Dream said hotly. "I'm just not sure if it's within range." You smiled. "Don't worry, it is," you told him. He nodded toward you. "Your turn to throw first," he said.

You lined up your aim, but didn't worry too much about it. You'd had tons of practice with ender pearls since you got pulled into the server and now you were fairly confident in your abilities. You checked your aim once more, then threw the pearl. Its aquamarine surface shone in the sunlight as it flew toward the block. A moment later, you felt the world twist as the pearl hit the block and you were warped through space. You quickly pulled out a water bucket to soften your fall.

You could see your opponent's pearl soaring through the air. You guessed by its trajectory that it would come close to the block, but not hit it. You were right. The pearl almost hit the block, but flew a little bit under it. Another pearl came up from the other direction and hit the block a few moments later. 

"That was actually pretty neat," Dream said breathlessly, dropping down in front of you. "You should definitely be the one to teach the children how to use these."

"Ha. No," you said. "You almost hit the block, so clearly you're alright at this."

"But you did hit the block," he pointed out.

"I'm not backing down on this," you told him. 

"Neither am I," Dream retorted. 

"Why, are you scared?" you teased. "Incapable of instructing small children?"

"Something like that," he agreed. 

"You don't seem to have any problems bossing everyone else around," you noted. 

"Everyone else isn't a rebellious chaos-creating child!" Dream retorted. 

"Ah," you said triumphantly. "So you're scared of Tommy."

"No - what - where did you get that idea?!?" Dream sputtered. "I'm not scared of him, I just don't want to have to deal with him!"

"Well I've had to 'deal with him' every day since we got here," you said. "And I've turned out pretty sane."

"Hm," Dream said skeptically. You gave him a mock stern face. "Now, now, you must respect your superiors," you said in a haughty tone. 

"Who said you were my superior?" Dream asked. "I'm pretty sure it's the other way around."

"Maybe," you agreed. "But not at pearling!"

"Yeah, yeah," he said. "You win."

You gave him a pleased look. "Didn't expect to hear that," you remarked. 

"What?" Dream asked incredulously. "I'm actually a very nice person if you get to know me."

Now it was your turn to give him a skeptical look. He laughed. "Alright, alright. We should probably head back to base," he said sensibly. "If Tommy and Tubbo haven't torn it down yet."

"Lead the way," you said.