Part 37

Another part for those that have amazingly stuck with this story so far.

So, wow, thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Keira?"

A beautiful male voice coaxed me out of my slumber. I blinked, my eyelids opening and immediately shyed away from the dazzle of daylight.

"Keira! You're awake!" The angelic voice - Oh, right. Rafael.

I let my eyes adjust and stared up at him, propping myself up into a sitting position. I was currently sprawled out across his bed, I noted rather embarrassingly. Although thankfully he was standing on the other side of the room. He rushed to my side as he saw me come to.

"My legs, my ribs- Oh My God - Amy!" I gabbled. He stopped me.

"I know. She's fled to another pack, which we fear she may be using as reinforcements to attack us. I saw it all. I was coming to your room to...um, talk to you and I saw her push you out the window. I can't tell you how sorry I am!"

"It's fine - you didn't push me"

"But I should've known Amy better"

He sat on the end of the bed, sagging a little at his supposed failure. His features suddenly hardened.

"I promise to protect you better this time" he stated firmly. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm fine now! And if anyone, I should've known Amy better! Don't blame yourself-"

"But I will" he cut me off "No matter what you say. And now you are in more danger than ever if Amy is going to attack with another pack."

I untangled myself from Rafael's bedclothes, absently admiring the lavish golden bedspread.

"I think I can manage" I muttered.

He paced, his eyes furrowed in furious worry. I slipped out the bed sheets and crawled to the bottom of the bed, sighing.

"Don't be a drama queen, Raf" I said flippantly and he snapped his head in my direction, worry written all over his face "I'll wander out if I want. You can't stop me."

"No. That's it. I'm keeping you in here. My room. At least until it's over." he said determinedly.

My jaw dropped.

"What! You can't do that! I would hate that and y-you can't and you know-" I yelled.

"I have no other choice" he said quietly.

"OF COURSE YOU HAVE ANOTHER CHOICE. YOU CAN'T JUST GO ALL PROTECTIVE BECAUSE I GOT HURT ONC-"

Suddenly he was in front of me, his eyes glistening and his breathing tickling my nose.

"But I love you, Keira. I can't go through losing you."

His words carried a whole jumble of emotion but the main one, that shone through like sun in a storm, was unconditional love. He put his arms around me, caressing the small of my back and drew me closer in a tender embrace.

"I can't let anything hurt you. Every time you feel pain, it echoes in my own body. Literally."

I felt my grin drop.

"Oh. I see. This is because you are stuck with some kind of wolfy burden of feeling your troublesome mate's physical injuries" I said sourly. I tried to shove him away from me but his grip tightened.

"No!" he whispered fiercely into my ear "It's just an example of my love! I would love you, even if you weren't my mate. I'm sure of it"

His statement - though probably factually impossible - was undeniably sweet. I allowed him to hug me.

"You are beautiful" he murmured.

He suddenly captured my lips in a passionate kiss, so I stumbled backwards onto the bed - though our kiss did not stop once. He stroked my back with such an achingly sweet gesture, I felt myself melt.

"Remember that - I will be back after I have attended a pack meeting on our course of action"

Before I had a chance to comprehend what he had said, he had vanished and I heard the door shut, the lock click. My eyes widened, shocked he had resorted to such a trick and lurched forward, pounding on the door.

"Rafael!" I cried, banging on the door.

"I'm sorry, my love" I'm sure I heard him say wistfully before walking off. I hammered at the solid barrier for several minute before sinking to the floor, my heart heavy.