Part 10

I sat at a small table in a non-descript café obscured by some run-down Tesco. I sipped a water, the cheapest thing on the menu, and sank lower in my seat. I'd spent a lot of my savings on several bus trips into busy towns, figuring it would be harder for Rafael to find me. Even with my notable increase in stamina, I was tiring and had nowhere to sleep.

I walked out the café and browsed a few high street stores absently purely for something to do. I was gazing at a scarf rack when I felt strong hand pull me roughly behind a load of jeans.

Rafael looked livid.

"How did you find me here?" I hissed furiously at Rafael, trying to yank my wrists away. His frown only deepened.

"What do you think your doing, running across half of England?" he said angrily.

"You didn't answer my question" He paused.

"Your scent"

I sniffed my clothes although they didn't smell particularly pungent. I'll admit there was a faint wolfy scent wafting from Rafael but hardly noticeable if I didn't concentrate.

"From halfway across the country?" I asked in disbelief. He looked down.

"Well, I could sense you because of the bond"

"What bond?" I demanded, annoyed he was trying to get me to like him with some cheesy pick-up line.

"The mating bond. We're soul mates"

"You're trying to tell me we're destined to be together? Yeah, right"

"I don't pick who I'm meant to be with. Fate does. Do you think I'd pick some ignorant human?" he raised his voice and I clenched my fist.

"Well I'm hardly ignorant - or human anymore - thanks to you" I shot back.

"It was inevitable" he shrugged "You wouldn't be able to remain human in my world."

"How about I stay in my world, away from yours? That would solve everything."

"That's not possible. Once we meet, you would never be able to feel complete for the rest of your life"

"I could've taken that risk"

His temper flared up and he held my face between his palms.

"Do you think this is easy for me? I'm the head - alpha - of my pack and I'm now stuck with some coward who runs off at the first sign of inconvenience!"

Ouch. I tried to ignore the tears gathering in the corner of my eyes, from his last comment. I turned and quickly darted out of his grasp and out the jean rack. Luna was waiting on the other side, looking at me apologetically. I sighed.

She led me to their van and I followed, defeated. I had nowhere to sleep anyway.

When we arrived back at the packs mansion, the half-moon was up. I trailed behind Luna, as she walked through the mansion doors and up the stairs.

"Where am I sleeping?" I asked, tiredly, keeping my voice monotone. Luna grimaced.

"I think Rafael wants you to sleep in his room"

"What? No way. Please, just find me an empty room." I begged. Luna shrugged.

"Okay; but only because I want us to be friends."

She led me down a narrow hallway and opened the door to a small bedroom. I thanked Luna and collapsed on the bed and kicked off my shoes. I looked again down at my hands. Apart from a higher definition view, thanks to my better vision, they seemed the same. Was I actually a werewolf?

I hopped off the bed quietly and sat on the floor. How would I do this? I had to know for certain. They could be lying to me, for whatever reason. I focused on my body and tried to picture what it would feel like turning into a wolf. Suddenly, I felt a rippling sensation beneath my skin. I felt my limbs elongate and claws shoot out my hands. Alarmed, I tried to reverse the process. After a couple of minutes, I was lay panting on the floor, perfectly human. My clothes were fine.

Had I imagined it?

I didn't think so. Why did Rafael have to go and rip my perfectly good life from beneath my feet?

I have no idea what this stupid mate thing is, but I know one thing.

I am going to become Rafael's personal hell for this.