Part 3

After what seemed an eternity, he sighed and flicked his hair.

"Look, for some reason you obviously don't like me. So, can we try and start again? Hopefully, without any hostility on your part" he said, his tone even. For some reason, he really infuriated me and I was usually a quiet, accepting person.

"Firstly, in my world, you can't just expect me to just like you because you're good-looking, or whatever. I'm not one of those girls. But I'm sorry for acting so hostile" I added on the end. I was surprising myself that I was actually talking back at him even though I did agree with what I was saying. I wasn't usually so bold.

"You think I'm good-looking?" he smirked.

Any bad feeling I felt for talking back at him instantly vanished. I was stuck next to the King of Cockiness.

"Forget it" I muttered, tuning back to my work. Just keep your head down, I told myself.

"So you want to go out some time?" he said.

"No, thanks" I replied curtly. He seemed speechless for a second. Probably not used to being turned down.

The bell rang to signal end of period and I hurriedly shoved my stuff in my bag and left.

I can't believe I said all that to him! Outside the classroom, I started doubting myself. Rafael had just asked me out! And I'd declined!

The school day flew by and it was soon over. I didn't tell Stella or Adeline about my encounter in English, fearing they'd overact or yell at me for rejecting me.

I was walking home, when I saw the new group walking on the opposite pavement.

"Hey, Keira!" Luna shouted and I did a double take. She was talking to me? I said hi back quickly, still unsure whether as to Luna had actually addressed me. I was usually invisible and now I seemed to hold a bright flashing light screaming 'Look at me!'.

I spotted Rafael in the crowd who was visibly ignoring me. I carried on and rushed off.

"You should come over sometime!" Luna called after me and I didn't bother to reply. This had to be some kind of practical joke. The best way to get them to forget was to ignore them. I turned a corner on the street and dashed home before they could catch up with me.

The next day, I woke up in a somewhat grouchy mood, as I hadn't gotten much sleep as I swore I heard wolves howling around midnight and hadn't got back to sleep. I wasn't usually a grumpy person; I would consider myself a fairly easy-going, optimistic girl.

I got to school fairly late and met Sara and Adeline in form room. The two of the new teens were already in their seats, though I noticed Rafael was missing. Phew, I thought, when I realized I had my English desk to myself.

The rest of the day up to English was relatively uneventful. At lunch, I'm sure the Perfects (as me, Sara and Adeline had dubbed them) kept looking at me but it was probably my imagination.

I walked to English and spread all my books over the double desks.

I spun in my chair at the sound of a throat clearing.

"Excuse me - your books are in my place"

Rafael eyes bore down on me, a smirk playing at his lips. Damn.

"Um, sorry" I stuttered, scrambling to move my exercise books. Rafael slid into the seat next to me and placed his own books on the desk. Mrs Dundee began droning on about grammar at the front.

"Hi" Rafael whispered. I kept my eyes fixed on the whiteboard at the front.

"Still not talking to me, huh/"

"I don't know what you're talking about" I hissed sarcastically, before I could stop the words coming out my mouth. Why was I being like this? I glimpsed at him and noticed he looked even more perfect than yesterday, with his tousled, dark hair resembling that of a model.

God, girl, get a grip!

I focused back on the whiteboard and scanned the task being scrawled on it.

Damn.

"Write a biography on your partner"