Part 5

I stared up at the large manor house.

What was I doing here?

Clutching my English exercise book, I walked to the front door and knocked, seeing no doorbell. It flung open almost instantly and I had to jump backwards to prevent it hitting me in the face.

"Hey"

Rafael was slouched on the doorframe, in ripped jeans and a thin t-shirt, which showed off his muscled.

"Come on in"

He turned and walked into the house, with me following nervously. The hallway was colossal and I felt like a peasant walking into a royal castle - completely out of place. I noticed Luna from school gliding up to me.

"Hi!" she exclaimed "You must be Raf's m-" she stopped as Rafael shot her a warning look "friend. I'm his sister. I think you're in my form"

I nodded, confirming it, still puzzled what Rafael had cut Luna off from saying. We continued through to a large living room, which had large, scarlet sofas with rich, gold cushions. He threw himself onto an armchair and then twisted round to stare at me.

"So what do you want to know?"

"Um, just general stuff like, you know, date of birth, parents' names..."

"Girlfriend?"

I shrugged, feeling that dreaded blush returning. It didn't help that a few older teenage guys wandered in at that exact moment and settled on a few of the other sofas. I shifted awkwardly in my seat.

"Don't worry - I haven't got a girlfriend. But I will have soon" He winked at me. A few of the lads laughed. Rational thought kicked in. I don't have to sit here and take this. I'll just make up the assignment.

I stood up.

"Bye Rafael" I snapped and our audience cheered, chuckling at Rafael.

"Wait!" he said but I had started walking out the room. He grabbed my wrist and jerked me back. I yanked it out his reach, furious.

"Don't you dare touch me! You're such a-a-a" I had never felt so much anger - it was hard to believe that I was the same, calm girl as yesterday "an arrogant jerk!"

Rafael froze.

His cheeks reddened as if I'd slapped him. His eyes began darkening. Like literally turning black.

"Y-y-your e-eyes!" I stammered.

But he wasn't listening. He was virtually trembling with rage. The lads had stopped laughing and now seemed almost worried, dashing up to him.

"Calm down" one of the boys, who looked around eighteen, mumbled into his ear. I was beyond puzzled, as a couple of the boys started tugging me through the door.

"You need to get out of here" one of them told me urgently. Rafael was pushing away the boys trying to comfort him.

"Stop it! She is not leaving!" he roared and their hands dropped off my shoulder automatically, as they shot me apologetic looks. I wasn't just bewildered; I was terrified.

"Don't do something you'll regret!" the eighteen-year-old shouted at Rafael as he started towards me. His eyes were midnight black. I was edging backwards, my knuckles white from squeezing my English exercise book so tightly.

"What's going on?" I choked out but no one responded, all of them watching Rafael intently, concern clear on their faces.

"He can't really hurt her - his mate - ...can he?" one of them said anxiously and a few nodded their heads in relief whilst the eighteen-year-old shook his head sadly.

"When he's in this state, there's no telling what will happen"

I stumbled and my legs slid from under me. Rafael stalked closer.

In the corner of my head, I noticed Luna enter the room and dart to Rafael.

But it was too late.

He lunged towards me, his eyes holding the lethal glint of a predator.

A swarm of blackness engulfed me.