Part 38

WOW!!! Just WOW!! It's been a day since my last update and I've gone from unranked to #642 on the werewolf charts!!!!! Thanks for all the swift comments and votes on the last chapter and for sticking with this story!! I decided to update again straight away to thank you for your support (plus I'm in a writey mood and my exams are largely over for now) :D

Enjoy ;)

-------------------------------------------------

I drew my knees up to my chest and curled up in a forlorn ball. I can't believe Rafael had actually done this; left me locked up in his room. And for what? To protect me? I didn't need protecting!

I searched the rest of the room for escape routes and discovered the windows locked, the door still refused to respond to my violent shoves. I sighed, annoyed.

I checked my pockets for my mobile phone. It had mysteriously disappeared - causing me to suspect Rafael of having much more foresight when it comes to planning than I would've originally thought.

Urg!

I retreated to Rafael's bedroom window seat, waiting for him to return. I had no choice. I gazed down at the back field, watching a few young kids train. I was struck with a sudden idea.

I stood in the middle of the room and felt myself melt into my wolf alter ego. I heard a thud with my enhanced ears and realized a split second later that it was my front paws hitting the carpet. I shook my body, adjusting to the alien form I had taken. It took seconds.

I hurled myself at the door and scratched at the bolts. I felt the door falter slightly and took advantage of this by attacking it with a sudden burst of frantic animalistic energy, hoping to just tip it in my favour.

The wood splintered and the door collapsed backwards.

Not even hesitating to morph back into my human form, I stalked through the corridors on four legs, dashing towards where I thought the exits were. Eventually, I emerged in a large cloakroom. A set of double doors beckoned and I regained my hands long enough to push it open, before resorting back to my wolf self. I sprinted through the back field, leaving the door swinging in gusts of winds as I left. I had no time to bother with trivial things, such as closing stupid pack doors - packs who locked up their alpha female.

I zigzagged past the training youngsters and a few shot me curious looks but no one made a move to stop or follow me, clearly not aware of Rafael's decision. I let out a yelp of joy and fled into the forest.

The serene green surroundings began to relax me as I darted through the woods. A strong earthy scent enveloped me and I could hear the comforting rustle of wind through leaves, acting as an almost lullaby.

But I couldn't stop.

I ran until my muscles were burning. I was sure I had passed miles of dense forest in my prolonged sprint and I finally flopped onto a fallen tree trunk the size of a car, panting. I felt my human limbs return. I shuddered when the cold invaded my skin, the sudden loss of fur making me feel as though I was being blasted by artic air. I crept into a little hollow in the tree.

Exhausted, I lapsed into a light slumber, my stomach growling from hunger.

I awoke to a nudging sensation. As my senses gradually returned, I became aware of an apple being pushed into my chilly fingers. I glanced up.

It was a wolf. With familiar silky black fur that reminded me of...

Luna.

I jerked up hastily and accepted the apple swiftly, my eyes not leaving the wolf.

"Luna? Is that you?" I whispered and the wolf's head jolted up. It suddenly seemed to shrink and soon, my friend was crouched in its place. I gasped and hugged her fiercely.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and she nodded, small, sparkling tears slipping down her cheek.

"Keira! I missed you!" she said in a wispy voice and I nodded to show her that I did too. She suddenly seemed to go rigid in my arms and pull back, giving me a stern stare.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be back at the pack house - safe and warm?"

I felt my face fall into an irritated frown.

"Amy pushed me out of a window" I paused, accepting her sympathetic gasp "And then Rafael locked me in his room to prevent me from getting hurt. So I escaped."

She offered me a small, meek smile.

"Rafael was out of order doing that - one of the most torturous things you can do to a werewolf is lock them up in a confined space" she muttered angrily in agreement. She gazed at me, softening.

"You can hang out with me for a while!" she said brightly "I'm almost over..." she trailed off, answering my unspoken question. I smiled sadly and then burst into a giant grin at her offer.

"OK - but there's one thing I gotta do first"

Luna frowned, her eyebrows knitting together.

"What is it?"

My face hardened in determination. I scrambled out of the hollow tree and we leaped down onto the soft bed of leaves littering the forest floor. The sun was just peeping through the tree trunks, the direction alerting me it was early morning.

"I need to find Amy and deal with this once and for all."

Luna nodded, a smile tugging at her lips.

"Not without me. I'm in."