Part 31

I woke up.

The soft pillows I was propped on and the light streaming through the window told me I was in my bedroom. Funny, I didn't remember going to sleep here. I stood up and walked over to my wardrobe. I was wearing a crumpled version of yesterday's outfit. I must've forgotten to take it off.

I strolled down the stairs to the mansion kitchen. Rafael, Luna and Kellan were seated around the head of the table and I sauntered over to them. I took a seat next to Rafael who smiled at me. I returned it, but felt an odd pang of...guilt?! Why should I feel guilty? Rafael was my mate - I had every right to smile at him. I dropped my stare to the breakfast foods on the table.

I found myself glancing at Kellan several times during the meal. He winked when he caught me staring at him and I realized he was quite good looking. God. No. He was Luna's mate - what was I doing?

I felt strange. Maybe the wolfs bane was making a comeback.

I pushed my chair back.

"I feel like a walk" I announced and Rafael leapt up.

"I'll come with you" he said quickly. Great - the exact person who I didn't want to come with me. But I just nodded.

I sauntered past Kellan and he grabbed my wrist.

"You okay? You look kinda pale" he asked, sounding sincere. But at the same time...smug. I gazed down at where he was gripping my bare wrists and a memory flashed into my head.

Last night.

Kellan.

The cellar.

Him influencing me.

I gasped and tried to subtly wretched my hand from his touch. He frowned but didn't say anything, turning back to a confused-looking Luna. In an instant, I took off at a brisk pace and led Rafael out the room. I pulled him through the corridor and drew him into what I guessed was a store room, which I hoped was out of Kellan's earshot. He absently snaked an arm round my waist and I felt the foreign urge to toss him off me.

"Rafael?" I croaked and he froze at the panic in my voice. I gulped.

"Last night....K-...he-" I choked, in disbelief. I couldn't physically drag the words from my tongue. I tried again but the speech remained stuck in my throat.

"I-I can't say it!" I spluttered and Rafael looked down at me sadly.

"I know, love" he said, his arm wrapping round my shoulders as he pulled me into a hug "I love you too. I know it's probably hard for you to say that having resisted me for so long."

I coughed. That is definitely not what I wanted to say - even if it were a tiny bit true - but I didn't protest. I didn't have any other excuse apart from the truth which Kellan must've twisted so I can't tell him. My body pushed Rafael away.

"Keira?" he said puzzled as he stumbled backwards. I stared at my own arms in belief.

"I-I didn't mean it" I stuttered. Images of Kellan kept seeping into my tampered brain. No!

I wanted Kellan. No, I didn't! I don't even like Kellan!

I shook my head and rubbed my forehead. My life was one long nightmare. I suddenly had a thought. Maybe I could still relay the truth to Luna.

"I, urm, have something to do" I blurted out and dashed out the store room, leaving a stunned Rafael frozen in the shadows of the small room. I had no time to feel sorry for him right now. And part of me was scared that this altered me no longer had the capacity to feel pity for him.

I jogged down the hallway and tumbled into the dining room.

Oh-oh.

Everyone was silent, their eyes glued to Luna and Kellan who were yelling angrily at each other. The woman stood near me was gasping and muttering to the other. Their tones were so low I couldn't make out the words. But the sentiment was clear - this was unheard of. Mates don't fight. My heart felt torn for Luna; she was adamant that the mate bond was the most sacred bond there was. And here she was, arguing publicly with what was meant to be her other half.

And my second reaction sickened me to my very core.

Because I felt glad. Glad that this meant they were having problems because then I could have the gorgeous Kellan all to myself.