Part 24

"What?!" I exclaimed "So now I have, what, like twenty four hours to live?"

Luna giggled nervously and shook her head.

"No - it isn't fatal, thank god. Plus since you're not exactly at one with your wolf, its effects aren't that drastic. I'm guessing you'll just feel slightly ill for a few hours."

Me (and my stomach) sighed with relief.

"Wait - what if you are close to your inner wolf? Like Rafael?" I am pretty sure the carton was only half full, meaning Rafael must've already had some. Once again, a sinking feeling of dread settled in the depths of my heart.

Luna frowned.

"Well, everyone born into the pack has a kind of injection of it when they are babies, to try and instil immunity into the pup; although it prevents fatal physical effects, the taker still feels slightly ill. And it doesn't protect against the mental effects."

The feeling of dread stirred.

"Mental effects?" I whispered.

"Yes, the person who has taken it is particularly susceptible to...low-level mind control. But only high up members of a pack could perform that."

I felt sick and wasn't sure it was due to the wolfs bane.

"High up member? Such as an alpha's daughter?" I enquired.

Luna nodded, puzzled.

"Amy" I murmured and Luna shook her head violently.

"No - she wouldn't dare. She's not that desperate. Besides, she's already engaged to him - why would she want to control his mind?"

"Because Rafael broke of the engagement when he realized he was mates with me!"

"Yeah, but you're obviously not. Even you've said so before."

I grimaced, unable to contradict her. I didn't dare confess that I no longer thought me and Tristan were mates; it was a touchy subject where she was concerned. I had a sneaky suspicion that she was going through a rough patch with Kellen.

"But who else would do such a thing?" I demanded.

"There are lots of packs who would like to see our powerful pack fall." Luna said dismissively.

I lay back down. It was no use trying to convince her.

I slept all day, and by mid afternoon, I was feeling much better. We'd decided we wouldn't make a big fuss about it, as we no longer had any proof (I felt slightly guilty since it was down to me tipping half of it down the sink because I felt jealous - there, I admit it) and just keep a close eye on Rafael.

I dressed and decided to go down to the pack dining room for tea. I met Luna on the stairs, who told me Tristan had called round earlier. I frowned, but quickly tried to cover it up. It was too late; Luna was already glaring at me.

"Oh yeah, I forgot; Miss I'm-too-good-for-a-mate doesn't care. You know some people would kill for an eager mate, who actually loves them, no bad-tempered how bad-tempered they are!"

"Some werewolves" I corrected tartly "And now I'm bad-tempered?"

"Well, yeah, you are. All I've heard from day one, was 'oh, I hate werewolves' but, newsflash, you're one. I'm one. Get over it."

I stopped, taken aback. This was not the calm, level-headed Luna I knew and it scared me. Had my constant whinging finally gotten to her? Yes, I know I had been slightly whiny to begin with, but I was trying to improve.

"I - I'm sorry" I stuttered but Luna was already stomping off in the other direction. I stood, unable to move. Had I just had a fight with Luna, my best friend?

I scuttled into the kitchen, still dazed, and grabbed myself a plate of food which was being dished out by a surly-faced old woman, not even bothering to check what it was, and walked off back up towards my bedroom.

First, being poisoned by wolfs bane and now fighting with Luna?

The pit of dread in my stomach just kept on growing.