Part 25

My shoes scudded on the carpet, as I dragged my feet across the floor. I felt awful for fighting with Luna and now I had no one in this god forsaken mansion. When did my boring, nerdy life get so mixed up?

Walking past a room, I suddenly heard hushed voices. This struck me as odd as everyone should theoretically be eating tea in the dining room, as I had assumed it was only I who skipped out sometimes on that occasion. Curious, I pressed my ear to the door.

"...Yes, I did..."

The voice sounded like...Tristan?!

"Are you sure? We can't afford for you to mess this up!"

I knew that hiss anywhere. Amy.

They resorted to murmuring in quieter voices for a while, whilst I pondered what this meant. How did Tristan and Amy even know each other? And what were they doing chatting softly to each other in a random room? I pushed the side of my head further into the door, urgently wanting to hear more.

"How about you? Is Rafael still resisting you?" Tristan. I could sense Amy smirking.

"He's tricky; still convinced that that Kelly" Keira I shouted mentally! "girl is his mate. But I think I'm turning him round. I mean, considering the number of times she's rejected him, it's not hard to assure him that he isn't." Amy.

"That's my girl!" Tristan?!

I decided it was time to put this enhanced werewolf vision to the test. The room was a guest room (I'm guessing Amy's - part of me was relieved she wasn't yet sleeping in Rafael's room) and so had a regulation keyhole. And it was miraculously empty.

I knelt down and peered in. Amazingly, I could make out too figures stood by the bed. I silently screamed a triumphant 'Eureka!'.

"And what about you? Is Katy" KEIRA "buying that soul mate rubbish?"

"Oh, well and truly, babe. I wouldn't be surprised if she was planning our next date now." Babe?? Well and truly buying that he was my soul mate?? I felt my teeth clench together. I felt like marching in there right now and yelling at that liar but I managed to gain my composure. Calmed, I peeked back at what they were doing.

And almost fell backwards in astonishment.

Tristan and Amy were presently welded at the lips, wrapped in an embrace so passionate, it was hard to mistake it for anything else. I heard Amy chuckle.

"Soon, Tristan, when I'm alpha of this pack and Rafael can't break the mate bond we will have shared, then we can be together, mate" she murmured huskily and I felt my eyes pop out my head.

Mate?!

For an irrational second, I felt relieved. Tristan wasn't my mate; I wasn't bound by duty for literal eternity to pretend to love him. Did that then mean Rafael was my mate after all? I hope so. Wait - no, I don't. After all, he did kidnap me and bring this all onto me in the first place. Urg! I was so confused!

I heard a scuffle as they broke apart and dashed down the hallway, towards my room, in panic. My head was still reeling from the discovery I had just made. I fumbled for the door handle to my room and flung it open, falling inside and slamming it behind me (obviously quietly so they wouldn't know I had been 'spying' on them). My heart was thudding so heart I was scared it was going to burst out of my chest.

So what was I going to do now?

Rafael wouldn't believe me. If Amy had done this weird mind control thingy on him, he was probably lost right now and I had yet to make up with Luna.

I sat on my bed and picked at the cold plate of food.

I suddenly had a thought.

Images of Tristan and Amy kissing flashed through my mind.

I leapt up and fished my bag out from under my bed. I rummaged around in it until and recovered my phone, which was looking a little unused considering my lack of friends at the moment. I smiled as I clicked on a text message Tristan must've sent me yesterday (how he got my number, I don't know). I typed out a message and didn't' hesitate before selecting send.

I sat back, laughing to myself, the text I'd just sent at the forefront of my mind.

"Hey, babes, let's go out tomorrow - just us two. Can't stop thinking bout u! Luv K"

Payback time.