Part 32

After the scene in the dining hall, I rushed up to Luna and led her out and up to my room. She sat miserably on my bed and sobbed for ages - I felt a tide of guilt for lusting over her mate, even if it was induced by Kellan's brain washing - and I consoled her the best I could.

"There's actually something I have to tell you." I whispered after she seemed to have squeezed out her last tear and I clasped my hands together in front of myself nervously.

I relayed my story about Kellan.

Thankfully it flowed easily out my mouth and I felt so relieved to be telling her. At first I saw denial cloud her features but at the end, she just nodded.

"I thought something was up. He's just becoming so distant...and power obsessed." she murmured and I nodded sorrowfully, as she buried her face into my pillow.

"Why have I ended up with such a horrible mate?" she mumbled.

And I felt so guilty. I have Rafael who loves me despite all my insecurities and running and who I'm sure would never turn against his pack whilst Luna, all she ever wanted was a good mate, ended up with Kellan.

Poor girl.

"What do we do?" I said, finally voicing the main issue. She shrugged.

"I guess I'll tell Rafael about Kellan" she said forlornly. I placed a friendly palm on her shoulder.

"I'll come. I'm here for you, Lune" I said.

She smiled.

I mopped up her tears and we set off in search of Rafael mid morning.

But of course it wouldn't be that easy.

We approached the kitchen and Kellan leapt out the shoulders. In unison, both me and Luna recoiled.

"What do you want?" I spat out, however my body softened my words so I sounded as though I was genuinely asking him if he needed anything from me. I frowned. Kellan just smirked.

"Glad to see you're still under my influence" Kellan said smugly and I tried to grimace at him, but my lips betrayed me, turning upwards into a sweet smile "I'm assuming you've told my dear Luna of my plan. That saved me a lot of time."

Luna gasped.

"How could you!" she burst out "How could you do this to Raf? To me?"

He frowned.

"I want power! Rafael always had everything easy - I deserve some recognition for doing all the work he couldn't be bothered to. And you..." his voice softened "I'm afraid that's a sacrifice I had to make."

A glistening tear slid down Luna's cheek.

Footsteps echoed from down the hall and Kellan hardened again.

"Quick, Keira, Rafael's coming. Come here." he barked.

My eyes widened as my feet started moving to their own accord - away from Luna and towards Kellan.

"Help!" a plea manage to slip from my lips as I clutched at Luna, but my legs had already dragged me from her. She grabbed for me but not quick enough.

I saw a figure appear down the corridor.

Rafael.

Luna just stood frozen, helplessly, still crying. I had reached Kellan and he yanked me to his chest, his touch causing tingles to rise to the surface of my skin. He wrapped his muscled arms around me and lowered me down, in a romantic pose. My limbs obliged. My brain was screaming no.

Rafael's footsteps grew louder.

Kellan drew me closer and crushed his lips on mine. My traitorous body, under Kellan's influence, reacted in the worst possible way. My arms tangled in his thick hair and I pressed my face closer to his.

I heard Rafael approach...and gasp in horror.

"Keira!" he declared and Kellan wretched me from him, forcing me to meet his eyes.

"Sorry - I didn't mean for you to find out like this." Kellan said, sounding anything but sincere. Considering I couldn't say a bad word against Kellan due to his manipulation of me, I remained silence.

Rafael just stood there, speechless.

His warm chocolate eyes glazed over. His arms hung limply at his sides. He seemed almost...broken. He whirled around and sped off without another word. I felt my heart break.

Luna snapped out of her daze and eyed me anxiously before rushing after Rafael, begging for him to listen to her explanation. Kellan smiled.

Anger managing to distort Kellan's power, I jerked myself from his grasp.

What had I done?