Tired of waiting | Ellie Williams

This story originally posted on tumblr by @/booppooo
_______________________

Ellie cautiously adapted to stability.

All she knew was chaos. The grief she endured in Boston and with Joel engrained hope a façade.

But she grieved.

It was gratifying joining a warm community - somewhere to develop abiding relationships.

Years slipped by and Ellie gave herself a name. She had established most of her bonds.

The morning after Cat and Ellie’s exciting kiss, Cat asked for exclusivity. She liked Ellie, enough to tattoo her free of charge.

And Ellie liked Cat too: she was cute, daring, very talented too.

But Ellie’s breath caught in her chest, and her heart tightened from an unidentified guilt.

“Listen,” she took Cat’s hands in her’s, “I think you’re great…”

“…but?” Cat pressed.

Ellie met her gaze, “But…I don’t think I’m ready.”

The red head lied with a heavy spirit, longing for another to plea commitment.

Cat bought it. She masked disappointment with a grin, kissed Ellie, and slipped from her small dwelling. Ellie stared at her ceiling and dragged her hands down her face.

Shame coursed cold through her veins.

Later that afternoon, Ellie’s captivator greeted her at the stables.

The one she continuously yearned to be near now twisted the knife lodged in her heart. A welcoming smile inflicted pain.

“Shimmer’s been waiting for you.”

Ellie’s freckles burned. She took the reins, “Thanks.”

Her unyielding grip on the leather soothed her nerves.

“Stay safe.”

Ellie mumbled, “yeah,” and hastily guided Shimmer out of the stables.

Patrol offered an evening escape.

A soft knock woke the peculiar girl. She yawned and checked the clock before leaping from her bed to answer the door. Expecting Jesse’s lecture she wore a long face.

“Hey…we’re gonna be late.”

Her full lips were tugged into an unwelcome grin. The warning didn’t penetrate.

The unbridled vim subsided with a cocked brow, “Oh-right. Gimme a sec.”

She aimed to tame her hammering heart and clammy palms while collecting her items, soothing herself with reassuring sigh.

Outside waiting was Y/n, her arms across her chest and shuffling the snow beneath her boot. Nerves bested Ellie and kept her silent.

“Maria wanted to speak with you.” Y/n informed entering town.

Acknowledging faintly per nod, Ellie heeded her lackluster tone and unusual distance.

The wind whistled louder than the hooves splashing in the icy creek. Bitter cold remedied their lost craving for the summer’s boiling heat.

Neither compared to the rigid silence bestowed by Ellie’s doubts and Y/n’s undisclosed indifference.

Eventually reaching the lookout, Ellie took the courtesy of logging their findings while Y/n searched through the binoculars focused beyond the old, frigid windows.

“Hey,” Ellie stepped next to Y/n, “What’s up?”

Ellie acted before her anxieties sewed her lips anymore.

“Nothing.”

She persisted apprehensively, “Doesn’t seem like..‘nothing.’”

Y/n returned to the binoculars.

“Are you upset about Dina and I?” Ellie wondered, her voice timid and hushed.

Y/n watched the storm roll closer to Jackson, “Should I be?”

The load of the question also carried the element of surprise.

“N-no? I don’t know,” Ellie huffed in frustration, “I just…I know you’re off and I want you to tell me why.”

“I don’t have to tell you anything.”

“Don’t be like that.”

“Like what?”

Y/n glowered indignantly at Ellie who wore aggravation. At her core, she trembled, fearing she’d endure losing Y/n. Their argument coming to fruition made her tighten her tremulous fists.

If Ellie didn’t seek respite, tears would spill, “Forget it.” She grumbled, storming off.

For years her creative imagination placed Y/n in lieu of her other patrol partners, but her dream had abruptly become a nightmare.