Chapter 26: Unexpected surprises

Bethany POV

It’s so bizarre to be sitting in this hotel room in Austin, Texas while watching Dancing with the Stars on TV. I mean not too long ago, I was the one on this show. It feels like a lifetime ago but yet sometimes it seems like it was just yesterday.

I still remember the feeling of the nerves just completely taking over my entire body, as we would stand there just before the music is about to start. I still remember the feeling of calmness Derek would bring me by simply holding my hand or kissing my temple. He would whisper complete nonsense into my ear sometimes to distract me from the lights, cameras and notion that millions of people are watching me attempt to dance on live TV.

I can’t help but feel a little jealous that Derek gets to experience all of that again with another partner. Not to mention that the partner would be an Olympic gold medalist gymnast that is so athletic and flexible. Nastia will undoubtedly have no problem picking up the choreography and technical aspect of the dances. She could be the muse to Derek’s creative genius that I could’ve never been during our season.

After the premier, Derek Facetimed me and quickly picked up on my hint of jealousy.

He mocks, “Awh, is my Baby a little jealous?”

“No, absolutely not!” I try to act all cool, but I quickly backtrack. “Well, not in that way. Thank goodness she has blond hair and in a serious relationship with her boyfriend; otherwise, we would have some problems,” I answer with some sass.

He retorts, “Beth, there is absolutely nothing for you to be jealous of.”

“Oh I know but I can’t help but be a little envious of her. She was amazing tonight. She is so athletic and flexible. You must be having the time of your life being able to choreograph anything for her without having to simplify things like you had to do with me.”

“Babe, it’s seriously not even like that,” he tries to persuade me.

Not believing him at all, I reply, “Really? Because I could’ve sworn we rehearsed every single day for HOURS. I am certain that Nastia does not need that long to learn and perfect a dance.”

He smiles and says, “I have a confession to make. At times, I made rehearsals a little longer just so I’d have an excuse to spend time with you. Babe, we spent half of rehearsals laughing and goofing off. It was fun, it didn’t feel like work at all. That season with you was different than any other season before and it is far from anything like this season with Nastia.”

“So you’re not enjoying the fact that she can pick up harder choreography faster than I ever could? You’re not going to be more proud of her for knocking each routine out of the park week after week?” I ask with a pouty face. 

“Bethany, seeing how far you progressed on the show had to be one of my most memorable journey to be a part of, out of all of my seasons on the show. And it wasn’t only because I was falling in love with you throughout the season, it was the fact that as your partner, your mentor and teacher, I personally saw your growth. From the first day we met to that last freestyle, Babe… it still amazes me to this day.”

I can’t even pretend to hold back a smile after hearing him say that. I add, “Promise that you won’t have a silly shimmy/handshake with her like the one we had and don’t even try our ritual Eskimo kisses with her.”

He laughs and says, “I promise and I’m pretty sure her boyfriend will kick my ass if I even try to close in on her face for an Eskimo kiss. We ok now?”

I can’t help but laugh and reply, “Yea, we’re ok.”

“Good, cause next week Nastia and I have the rumba. Okay? Love you,” he quickly replies.