Chapter 13: A little photography vacation

Derek POV

 There are days like today when I think to myself just how lucky I am. Today was an amazing day, in fact, this entire week has been one that I will never forget. Making the drive up along the coast, I look to see the sun set majestically over the Pacific Ocean but even that can’t compare to the picturesque view of Bethany peacefully knocked out in the passenger seat with her hand on top of my hand, our fingers intertwined while resting nicely on her thigh.

 She startles me when she begins to talk while her eyes are still shut, “How am I supposed to sleep with you staring at me? Pay attention to the road.”

 I reply, “I can’t help it, the way the last of this sunlight is hitting you as you sleep is stunning, Babe.”

 “Baby, focus on driving, ” she says.

 I take my hand up to her face and graze her jawline with my fingers. She leans the side of her face into my hand and kisses my palm. She sadly continues, “I don’t want this trip to end.”

 “Babe, I know. I am just so thankful that you even said yes to this crazy idea.”

 Flashback

 I stopped by Bethany’s house as she was busy packing up the last of her things as she moves out of the house that she rented while she was on DWTS and moves back up north.

 She says, “We have to think of some fun things to do in these last couple of days so I won’t be reminded of how sad things are going to be.”

 Without really thinking, I blurt out, “ Let’s take a roadtrip.”

 She replies, “what?!?”

 “Let’s spend these last couple of days driving up the coast and I’ll drop you off at home in the end. We’ll rent a car so I can just fly straight to Utah after to make it in time for Christmas.”

 She says, “Are you crazy?”

 I answer, “Maybe…a little. I guess when you hear it out loud it does sound a bit crazy. But who cares, its spontaneous…it will be an adventure. Look, before I head to New York, it will be fun to take in a little bit of California. See the stunning coastline, watch the sunset over the Pacific, pass through some redwood forests…”

 “Maybe we can even stop and stay the night in Big Sur,” she adds.

 I smile and say, “Exactly. We can make it a little photography vacation so I can test out my new camera and you can show me a few things with it. Plus, we could get some really good footage for your Youtube channel.”

 I could see her really think it over and asks, “You think you could really handle me…24/7 nonstop?”

 I quickly counter, “the question is if you can handle me and my craziness for 24/7 nonstop?”

She laughs and says, “Okay.”

“Okay?”

She nods and says, “yea, let’s do it.”

I pick her up and spin her around, “ this will be fun. It will be a trip we will never forget.”

And certainly it is, this trip was an amazing experience that could help strengthen our new relationship. We are able to bond, get to know each other and create lasting memories.