Chapter 32: Glimpse of Our Future

Bethany POV

"Derek, I know you are in there. Open up," the familiar voice behind the front door says.

With concern on his face, Derek opens up the door to find his frantic sister as he says, "Katherine?"

"I know it's late in the evening and while you have the day off tomorrow, I'm sure you intend to spend the day with Beth," she says then turns to me and add, "hi babe, by the way."

I lean in to give her a hug and reply back, "hey, what's going on?"

Katherine answers, "Well, this mini vacation to LA is turning out to be a disaster. All of Sharee and Marabeth's kids are sick and poor Adi is..."

Before Katherine can even finish her sentence, Adi comes rushing through the door saying, "Auntie Beth, can I pease stay with you and Uncle D? All of the other kids are sick and can't play with me."

I bend down to scoop her into my arms and answer, "Of course, baby. We can spend all day tomorrow playing dress up and having tea parties."

Adi, Derek's niece, eyes light up. Derek interrupts to say, "Um, what about me? Can I play dress up and join your tea party."

"Silly Uncle Derek, you can make us tea and bring us cookies," Adi answers.

Both Katherine and I can't help but let out a belly laugh at Adi's cute answer.

With a shocked face, Derek reaches for Adi and carries her out of my arms to tickle her. I move alongside Katherine and said, "Of course we'll gladly babysit."

"Thank you, you don't know how much this helps out and means to me," Katherine says and then she whispers into my ear, "Plus, it will be good practice for the both of you. A glimpse into your future."

I look over to Adi chasing Derek around the living room and I think to myself that I could definitely get used to the sight of our own little boy or girl soon.

Katherine leans in again and says, "You can see it already, can't you?"

I smile and nod my head yes.

"Babe, I am so glad he finally find you," Katherine says. I give her a genuine hug and she continues, "But I am even more glad that I gain a new sister and most of all a new little niece or nephew in there. Well, I gotta get going because Marabeth and Sharee are going to kill me for leaving them all alone with all those sick kids. Adi, you be good, okay?"

Adi replies, "Yes, mama."

Derek adds, "See you later, Katherine."

I give Katherine one last hug and whisper, "Thank you for being so good to me and thank you also for this little test run."

Katherine smiles and says, "Call me if you need me. Bye, babe."

"Let's hope that is not needed. Have a good night."

As I locked the front door, I turn around to see both Adi and Derek with manipulative smiles on their faces. I ask, "And, what exactly are you two up to?"

Adi and Derek both look at each other before Adi speaks up, "well, Uncle D wants me to ask you..."

Before she could finish, Derek interrupts, "It was not my idea."

"Uncle Derek, you just said to ask Auntie Beth if we could go out on the balcony to look at the stars tonight," Adi said innocently.

Derek looks down at her and says with a smile, "That was supposed to be our little secret. You know your Auntie Beth wouldn't be able to say no to you if you had asked. So.... Auntie Beth? What do you say?"