Story time

"Are you finally going to tell us what it means?", smirked Emma in her own sweet manner.

 The question almost gave you the tenth heart attack of the day, the redness of your face was putting tomatoes to shame.

" It's actually something really dumb, something you just yell when you're angry? It's just  bad words. Like, it doesn't really have a meaning...". 

With four pairs of eyes looking straight at you, god you were nervous. You felt forced to avoid the question or the answer, tell a technically true answer because one thing you couldn't do was to lie at them. 

Yuhuza gave you her typical smile, you ascended heaven, "It's okay we found out the meaning of it long ago."

You came back crashing to earth.

"You what?", you inquired with a shaking voice, a half of disbelief maybe-you-just-heard-it-wrong.

Emma giggled explaining that they asked a german tourist to traduce the notebook they talked about earlier.  As she got asked by the whole table for clarifications, she agreed but warned about how it was a long story. 

It started with her being with some of her brother'ss friend, on a particularly known and crowded street. She had at that point the notebook with german words on her bag. A friend, during their conversation, spots a german speaking tourist among other people. Said friend asked if the notebook was with them because it was the opportunity to found of what you had been saying all along. Since the notebook was there, they went to the person and tried to ask for the translation they wanted.

After some poor english attempts from both sides to communicate, they tried drawing on the ground instead of talking. Of course it didn't work either, so Ba- another friend abruptly put the open notebook right under the nose of the tourist. 

Emma's smile grew wider as she told how the tourist thought they were down right insulting him, because on the notebook first things written were swear words, and that's when you appeared on your bike. Of course you were clueless about the situation, yet you still accepted to calm the tourist and tell him that your friends were just asking for a translation.

All the people present at that moment, except the tourist, knew that if you were aware of the contents of the notebooks, you would forbid the translation, so they invented something about them wanting learning german but without  your help. They added some nonsense about wanting to show you their independence.

A hot plate of fried pork placed in front of you snapped you out of the story. The dishes had arrived, so your little group waited for the waiter to finish to thank him, then go on with the story.

"We really got nervous about whether you were buying it or not, because you were really good at discerning truth and lies. Rare were the times where we could successfully lie to you. And when you heard our absurd justification, you looked straight into the eyes of each one of us. And I don't how, because I remember Mi- some of us looking away suspiciously, but you let it pass, and went on with your day."

Sano took a pause to breathe and drink, which unintentionally reminded everyone of the plates in front of them. The Shiba started picking food from their shared plate. Asta tasted the fried pork, deciding on the instant it was her favorite dish.

Your stomach clutched himself, welp, looked like you weren't eating today either. You internally prayed for nobody to notice and drank from your glass. People's usual reaction upon learning you just couldn't swallow anything was to force you to eat more, so yeah... 

Emma pursued with the story; "When you left, the tourist took out a pen. He had no idea how to write in japanese he went for english instead, which was alright. Some of us were okay with written english so we could after translate to anyone who couldn't."

"So our small group surrounded the young man. We first learned the insults. And it caused a bit of commotion on the group, we weren't a lot, eight or nine, but everyone started talking at the same time. Now, things were written as we heard them. So the man read the words or sentences out loud, and we would agree if it's how you used to say it."

You noticed the Shiba siblings were listening as attentively as you and your sister were. Yuhuza had a mildly amused expression on her face. Strangely enough Taiju too, although it was less discernable.

"But what does outsiders see? They see a stranger surrounded by gang members, and when the stranger says something, the people around him argue loudly. So after five or so minutes a policeman approaches us. He asks what is going on. The problem is everyone answers at the same time, except for the tourist who asks what's going on. While the boys are explaining our situation I write in the notebook to the tourist that the policeman was asking what was happening." 

Emma leans more over the table. Yuhuza on a mildly amused face. 

"I turn back for not even an entire minute,  and three cops are had already joined the first to separate us all. I intervened and managed to explain and calm things down. Back to translating, we moved to a quieter place."

"Thankfully, the tourist, José was his name, had time and was more that happy to be of help. I think he found the situation amusing."

Emma was taking small bites between her sentences. Asta was already done with her plate and you hadn't even touched your plate.

"So twenty minutes after, you arrive out of nowhere again. This time you have muffins with you. You approach, and the tourist, trying to decipher a word says 'tschüss', and everyone says 'tschüss' with him multiple times. But then you say 'Alright' and you turn back and leave. The tourist looks at you for a second, bursts out laughing and writes that it means 'bye'."

"At that point we all understand we just told you to go away, when you were coming with muffins. Nobody refuses your muffins. Everyone stands up and runs towards you to have a pastry and explain that they did not meant what they said."

"But when you saw all of us running behind you, you panicked, you tripped and fell. And two people fell down with you. Over you, to be exact. That day you ended with a cast on the left feet. You were eleven at that moment I think."