11 Unexpected

"How's your back?" asked Roman as we stood outside the door where my station was set up today.

"It's okay. The hot shower definitely helped a lot. But I don't think I can do that too often." I replied as I turned to him.

"It gets better the more often you do it, I promise." he said as he gave me a loving kiss on the nose.

"Yeah, I think I'll pass. I'd much rather watch you do squats." I smirked and wrapped my arms around his middle.

"Oh I think that can be arranged. I'll see you a little later. I love you." said Roman, giving my lips a peck.

"I love you too. I guess we can see each other in catering later if everything goes well." I said.

"Sounds good to me. Bye, angel." he replied, but didn't just leave but pulled me tightly to his chest again to give me a proper kiss.

"Roman!" we then suddenly heard.

He reluctantly detached his lips from mine and then looked at me with wide eyes.

"Uh-oh..." he mumbled.

"What is it?" I asked, confused.

"Well, it looks like my mom decided to stop by the show today. I hope it's not that much of a hassle for you if I introduce you to her. If it is, that's okay. Just tell me." he explained quickly.

He was really great. He was worried about putting too much pressure on me by meeting his family, especially his mother. What had I done to deserve such a man? I put my hand on his cheek and looked at him intensely. His eyes showed that he was really worried. And I truly appreciated that.

"It's okay, Romeo. I'd like to meet her. After all, she's the reason you're in this world." I explained to him as his mother came towards us with big steps.

"My son! Come into my arms! I thought I'd surprise you while you were in town." she said a little dramatically and then threw her arms around his neck.

"It's good to see you, Mom, but you could have called." he said as he hugged her as well.

"Where's the fun in that? Oh I'm sorry. I'm being so rude. Who is this lovely young lady?" she asked as she broke away from her son and looked at me.

"Mom, this is Y/N. My girlfriend. I told you about her." he replied proudly.

"It's nice to meet you, Ma'am," I said, holding my hand out to her.

"Y/N, I'm so glad to finally meet you. Roman has told me so much about you already. But please, call me Patricia or Pat, or better yet, call me Mom." she said excitedly.

"Mom!" complained Roman. He was probably a little embarrassed.

"See? He calls me that too! Don't be so uptight, Roman." she laughed and then just took me in her arms.

This woman was a force of nature and I liked her already. I could only hope that she liked me too. After all, she was an important part of Roman's life. So it was important that we got along well.

"All right, then. Don't you have anything to do, son?" she said then turned to Roman.

"I... yes, I do.... But..." he stammered.

"No buts. Get to work. I'll keep Y/N company and watch her work. Then we can get to know each other a little. That is, if you don't mind of course, Y/N." replied Pat.

"I don't mind at all. It sure is nice to hear stories from his childhood that he probably wouldn't tell me." I said with a laugh.

"Oh great. Go ahead and gang up on me. Alright, if you're cool with that, I'll see you later." He grumbled and took a step closer to me.

"Is it really okay?" he asked me quietly.

"Yes, it is. Don't worry, Romeo. I love you." I replied quietly with a calm smile.

"I just wanted to be sure. I'll see you later. Love you more." He murmured to me, giving me another quick kiss and then heading off to his meeting.

"Can I ask you something, Patricia?" I asked as she made herself comfortable in my corner and I lined up all the products I was about to need.

"Honey, of course." she replied.

"Surely it's no coincidence that you decided to stop by today, is it?" I wanted to know.

As I expected, she immediately began to grin broadly.

"No, it certainly isn't. I just wanted to meet the woman who makes my Roman so happy. That's a mother's job. I have to make sure he's okay. Surely you can understand that." she explained.

"Yes, I understand that. In fact, I understand that very well." I replied, forcing myself to smile.