12 The truth

"Roman told me you've only been working here for 6 months," Pat said as we made our way to the catering after about 2 hours.

While I was doing the girls' makeup, we talked about everything possible. And somehow she was totally fascinated by watching me work. Every time she praised me, I grinned like a little kid.

"Yeah, I just needed a fresh start. And I really like it. There was, or better, is a lot I wanted to leave behind," I explained to her.

"New challenges are often a good way for a new beginning. Even if it often takes a lot of effort. What exactly did you want to leave behind?" she asked.

"Oh, I can imagine what it is." said a spiteful voice behind us.

It was that snake Brenda. Of course. Who else would interfere in our conversation? I decided to simply ignore her.

"Who is this person?" asked Pat quietly as we sat down at a table with our food.

"Oh, she works on the production team and has been stalking Roman practically since his divorce. He's made it clear several times that he's not interested. But it doesn't seem to bother her one bit. In the nearly three months that Roman and I have been together, it hasn't gotten any better. On the contrary, actually. Did you see the look she gave me?" I explained to her.

"Is she stupid or just ignorant?" Pat then wanted to know, finding it hard to suppress a giggle.

"I don't think it makes much difference," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Well, anyway.... what was it you wanted to leave behind?" his mother began again.

"It's a long story and I don't really want to tell it here where so many people can listen to us. And to be completely honest, it's still very hard for me to talk about it." I said after I sighed deeply and then swallowed hard.

"What's the matter, Y/N? Are you too much of a coward to tell Roman's mother that you're married?" said Brenda who suddenly appeared next to me.

"What?" I asked, horrified.

"What is she talking about, Y/N?" wanted Pat to know.

"I'm talking about the fact that Miss L/N, at home, has a husband and a son.She's just playing with your son. Because I'm sure the poor guy has no idea. And her husband certainly doesn't either." she blurted out, her voice dripping with disdain.

Everything went silent. Not a single sound was heard. And yet all eyes were on me.

"Y/N... is that true?" gasped Pat.

"Where did you get this information?" asked I as I stood up to be face to face with Brenda.

"Oh, you wouldn't believe how easy it is to find out things about someone if you just put in a little effort." she sneered.

Tears began to run down my cheeks and my hands clenched into fists. I was really about to either run away or slap her. But then I suddenly heard Roman's deep voice behind me.

"What's going on here?" he also wanted to know.

"Come on, Y/N... Tell him. Roman deserves the truth!" she continued to tease.

"You want the truth? You want me to tell you the truth? I was married, that's true. But maybe you should have been a little thorough with your research.... My husband is dead! My son is dead! They were killed by a drunk asshole driver!" I screamed, my voice getting louder with each word.

Then I turned around and just wanted to leave. Far, far away. Thanks to this horrible woman, everyone now knew my secret and from now on, pity and awkwardness would follow me here as well.

I only got a few steps away. Roman grabbed me by the arms and pulled me tightly to his chest. One hand rested on the back of my head while the other stroked my back soothingly.

"I've got you, angel. It's all good. Shhh... shhh.... shhh...." he murmured soothingly.

But the tears did not stop. I was shaking all over as I desperately clung to Roman. He was my rock, because I needed him so much at that moment.

"You can rest assured, Brendas, that this is your last day in WWE today. I will personally make sure of that. That was more than one step over the line. And just so you know, I know all about Y/N's past. You are a backstabbing, two-faced bitch. And I will not accept what you just did. You thought she was lying to me. You thought you could break us up. Well, you thought wrong. The only thing you've broken up is you and your career," Roman said to her in a threatening voice.

And even though I was so agitated, I could hear the growl in his chest and how hard he was trying to keep his voice calm. He sounded very dangerous.

Without another word, he picked me up and carried me away from this place. I didn't care where he took me. As long as he was with me. Part of me wished that what had just happened was just a nightmare, but I knew I wasn't that lucky.