28 Black day

Roman POV

I was standing at the baggage claim waiting for my suitcase when the phone in my pocket started ringing. I pulled it out expecting to see Y/N's name, but to my slight disappointment it was just Summer.

"Hey sis. What's up?" I asked.

"Hi Roman. It's good that I can reach you. Are you home yet?" she wanted to know.

"No. I'm still at the airport waiting for my luggage. Why?" I replied just as I saw my suitcase coming. I took it off the conveyor belt as I waited for Summer to tell me what she wanted.

"Have you heard from your wife today? I just tried to reach her a couple of times, but she's not answering. We wanted to talk about some details for the baby shower. I'm a little worried, but didn't want to drive by in case she was sleeping." Summer explained to me.

"She' s doing fine. I talked to her before boarding. But she definitely won't be answering anyone else's calls today. Don't worry about it." I said as I walked towards the exit.

"What do you mean?" she wanted to know, of course. I sighed deeply.

"Today is one of Y/N's black days. More specifically, it's Eric's birthday. On their birthdays, on their wedding anniversary, and on the anniversary of the accident, she doesn't really talk to anyone. Only to me. So please don't take it personally when she ignores your calls." I explained to her.

"Oh...okay. I just wanted to make sure she and the baby were okay. I'll get back to her tomorrow. Tell her we all love her and are here for her if she needs us, all right?" said Summer then.

"Will do. I'll talk to you soon, Sum," I replied.

"Drive safe. Love you." she said.

"Love you too. Bye." I said, then hung up.

On the way to the car, I thought about how I could cheer up my angel on this difficult day. It didn't take me long to come up with the perfect idea. It was something with which I could always make her smile. Normally we always spent these days together. But that was not possible at the moment, with the Nugget on the way. So now I wanted to do my best to comfort my wife.

However, in order to do so, it was necessary for me to make a small stop on the way home.

"Angel? I'm home!" I called as I entered our house and put my suitcase aside. I had to be careful not to drop the other things I was holding.

"I'm here." she answered, but as I expected, her voice didn't sound as cheerful as usual.

I went into the living room and saw her sitting on the couch. In front of her on the table were the photos of the two of them.

"Hey." said Y/N as she looked up at me.

"Hi angel. How are you holding up?" I asked as I sat down next to her and gave hers a kiss on the temple.

"I've been better." She admitted, but gave me a small smile.

"I know. And I'm sorry I couldn't spend the whole day with you. I know it's hard that you couldn't visit them this year. But I promise we'll make up for it as soon as we can," I told her.

"Yes, this is the first time I can't be there, but it is what it is. I was just thinking how excited Eric would have been about the baby. He loved babies. Every time he saw a baby somewhere, he would point to it and squeal and coo with delight," Y/N replied as she stroked her by now big baby bump.

"That's really sweet." I said while stroking her back.

Y/N leaned against me and rested her head against my shoulder before sighing deeply.

"It's funny the things you remember. But I find comfort in the thought that our little one will always have a big brother watching over her." she then said softly.

"That's true. Both of them will always look out for you two. I'm quite sure of that. We have that in common," I replied and kissed her head.

"And I love you for it." she said as she turned her head to me.

"I love you too, angel." I replied and then gave her a loving kiss.

"What is all this?" she asked a short time later when she saw the things that were lying next to me.

"Oh I brought you your favorite flowers. I also bought a small cake. So we can celebrate Eric's birthday. And then, of course, the most important thing of all.... I brought my girls chicken nuggets." I explained and handed her the items.

"Oh Romeo, how do I even deserve you?" she asked softly as tears glistened in her eyes.

"I ask myself the same thing every day and I'm so grateful every time. Now let's spend a peaceful day. Eat your nuggs. I know how much you hate it when they get cold." I replied before giving Y/N a kiss on the nose.

I knew that these days would never be easy for her, but I would always do my best to support my angel and give her whatever she needed in those moments. And I was sure that our daughter would also be a great help.