Two

Walking through the doors at the Canham Natatorium at the University of Michigan, I can't help thinking that I wasn't supposed to be back here

Or I was. Just not like this.

I'm one of the first swimmers in the building, but I'm only halfway to the changing room when I feel two hands clamp down on my shoulders.

"What's up, man?" an excited voice asks from behind me.

I look over just as Davis walks up on my side; a big grin stretched across his face, a gym bag slung over his shoulder.

"Why are you so happy? It's 6 am," I point out in a grumble.

My best friend just rolls his eyes at my attitude. "It's the start of the season. First practice, come on, it's great!"

"It's not even your season." I shoot him a sour look, crossing my arms over my chest.

After freshman year, Davis decided to go pro and give up his amateur status and NCAA eligibility, but he kept training at U-M.

"Well, there'll be rookies to scout anywho," he says, not bothering with my mood, pushing the door to the changing room open with his shoulder.

We make our way to the lockers in the back, which have been ours for years. Ever since our first year at U-M, Davis and I have loved the first practice of the season because all the rookies are so jittery they damn near drown themselves in the pool.

However, this year, the prospect of watching it just doesn't do it for me.

I make a non-committal sound while beginning to strip down.

"Listen, man," Davis says after pulling off his shirt. "I know it sucks; I get it. But hey, at least you have a year more here." He pats my arm. "Might as well get the best of it."

He's right, of course. I should be thankful that I am able to return to college. Originally, I was supposed to graduate last year, but due to a drunken mishap and a broken clavicle, I had to redshirt my second season at U-M.

Back then, it was the worst thing that could have happened. That year sucked balls, but now it means I have another year of eligibility. A second senior year - including my scholarship. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because I would have been screwed without it. At least this way, I have one last year to prove myself.

"And you know, if you need, I can always-"

I cut him off. "I'm not taking your money, D," I say in a dismissive voice. It's not the first time he offers either, but it shouldn't have been necessary this year. This year I was supposed to have gotten endorsement deals right alongside him. So much for that.

I shake off the heavy thoughts as I take off my pants and begin getting my swimwear and gear ready.

"How was your summer?" I ask Davis as we walk towards the showers.