Fifty-three

The IU Natatorium in Indianapolis is an impressive space

It's our third day sitting down on these bleachers to watch our boys compete at nationals.

Mitch has already won two gold medals and beat the world record in the 100 meters butterfly. A record he set himself two years ago.

Yesterday, Jayden won gold in the 200-meter freestyle and beat his own personal best. It was a beautiful moment like he finally felt redeemed after the Olympics last year.

I might have cried.

Saltz won silver in the 50-meter back crawl.

Davis isn't doing too well, and he's yet to find himself on the podium.

But today is the day we've all been waiting for. The guys will be competing in the men's 4*100-meter medley relay final.

They did really well in the preliminary heat - as Jen told me it's called - and again in the semifinal.

But it's this moment that matters. If they win this final, they'll be national champions. It puts them a little closer to competing at worlds in two years. And the Olympics three years from now.

Though none of them will even voice that possibility, they're afraid of jinxing it.

The final isn't for another hour, and none of the guys are swimming any other discipline today, so I scour the room, trying to find them.

There are so many people here. It's much larger than both sectionals and the Big Ten. I love the energy, and I know Jayden feeds off it too.

Although he's told me that the only person he needs in the stands is me.

I told him he was being corny, but maybe I kinda liked it.

Ollie is tripping beside me. After three days of watching people swim, he's kinda over it. We're here for hours on end, despite Jayden's part being over in a few minutes.

"Let's go find Jay," I tell him, slinging my arm around his shoulder. He's almost as tall as me, and I know that one day he'll tower over me like his brother. I'll be surrounded by giants, despite actually being quite tall myself.

We should acquire ourselves some shorter kids.

Butterflies flutter in my stomach at the idea of us having more kids. But I'm getting ahead of myself; we've only had custody of Ollie for two months.

"I'll come with you," Jen says, getting up from her spot.

She's been here all week, too, supporting the guys, despite her and Davis barely being able to look at each other.

We find them at the other end of the big room, conversing with Kimmy, who'll be swimming her own final in about thirty minutes.

"Hi," I say as I slide in beside Jayden, and he tugs me to his side, kissing my temple.