Forty-nine

Two days after the surgery, I feel better

Two days after the surgery, I feel better. The effects of the anesthesia have officially worn off, and my head no longer pounds. I'm still sore, and it'll take a while before my body is completely healed after the surgery. I remember from last time.

In a couple of days, I'll be discharged, sent home to heal for a month before treatment starts. How much radiation and possibly chemo I'll need depends on the results they get from pathology.

I have a lot of time to think about the worst-case scenarios, and a part of me is scared that I'll just have gotten Jayden's hopes up by suggesting that we move in together, and then tragedy will strike.

Because it would be a tragedy.

I see that now.

He and Jen come by several times a day. Jayden would be here round the clock if the hospital allowed it, but I'm glad they don't. He's already agreed with his coaches to cut down on training against my protests.

He needs to do well at nationals. It's what he's worked for since the Olympics last year, and I won't be the thing standing in his way.

"Hi," he says, appearing at my door. He looks good. All clean shaven and casual in a pair of jeans and a hoodie.

I sit up straighter at the sight of him, my heart starting to pound. Not because I'm nervous about seeing Jayden, but because of who I know he's bringing.

I've gone out of my way to make sure I don't look like a cancer patient right now. Luckily surgery has no effect on my hair growth, which might be the thing a thirteen-year-old would expect when they hear cancer.

"Hi, come on in," I say, dragging the blanket closer. It's a pink, frilly one that Jen has brought for me. One of hers, of course, but it makes the room less sterile, homier, and I'm hoping it'll put Ollie a bit at ease.

He walks in the door behind Jayden, his expression wary and cautious. I know Jayden has assured him that I'm fine, but Jayden isn't the only person who lost a parent in this building. Ollie has the right to be a little on guard.

"Hi, Ol," I say, smiling a little wider than normal, hoping to appear fresh and healthy. I even put on makeup - not a lot, just enough that I wouldn't look pale and sickly, like someone who's been hospitalized for a week.

"Hey, Soph," he says, slowly moving closer to me. On my other side, I can sense Jayden watching Ollie's every move, trying to gauge his reaction like he's a wild animal.

I pat the chair next to me. "Unfortunately, I won't get a cast like you," I say, making a face.

Ollie's lips tug slightly as he sits down. "Casts sucks. I couldn't shower without a plastic bag for a month."

I nod solemnly. "True. I won't have that issue."

I needed to sit down on a chair while I showered today because I didn't have the strength to stand up, but I won't mention that.