Twenty-three

"What are you doing?" Jen says the words slowly, a look of utter confusion on her face

I get it. It's not every day she finds me sprawled on my bedroom floor, heaps of clothes surrounding me, as I throw tops and dresses around.

"I have nothing to wear," I whine.

"Soph, you have a million outfits." She crosses her arms over her chest, leaning against the doorway.

"But not the right one!" I brandish the black, see-through bodystocking in my hand at her to illustrate my point.

"The right outfit for what?"

I look down, drop the piece of clothing to the ground, and wrap my arms around my knees. I mutter something indistinctive under my breath.

"What?" Jen asks, confused.

"Jaydenistakingmeonadate," I mumble quickly and way too quietly for her to hear.

"Again, what?"

"Jayden is taking me on a date!" I exclaim, throwing my arms into the air.

Jen's jaw drops. "What?"

I give her a sour look. "You heard me." She wouldn't be looking at me like that if she didn't.

"I heard you," she says. "But I can't have heard that right... Jayden Sennels is taking you on a date?"

I nod.

"And you said yes?"

I give her a grunt of affirmation.

"By your own free will?"

I throw the closest dress at her, and she giggles, holding up her palms. "Okay, but for real. How did that happen?"

I give her a quick recap of what has happened since Jayden showed up at our apartment last night, and her eyes widen exponentially when I mention our little outing today.

"You brought him to see Max?" she breathes.

"Yeah..." I don't know what else to say. Jen knows what a big deal that is. I don't tell her that it was a kind of payback for Jayden telling me about his past. Like our secrets are currency, and I was in the red.

I can't tell Jen. Both because Jayden's story is his, and I have no right to share it. But also, and probably more importantly, because she would see right through me.

I did promise to let Jayden know something about me, but there were a million other things I could do. Taking him to see Max was a completely voluntary decision.

"Anyway," I say, clearing my throat. "He picks me up at seven, and I have no idea what to wear. Please help me."

Jen smiles smugly. "Oh, how the tables have turned. I don't think you've ever asked for my help in this regard."