Twenty-one

Jen and I don't tend to get a lot of guests

Jen and I don't tend to get a lot of guests. Especially since Darren-the-cheating-asshole was yeeted from Jen's, and subsequently my, life, it's uncommon for us to have unexpected visitors.

Well, at least when you don't count Jayden, and after his little temper tantrum here a month ago, I no longer do.

So when there's a quiet knock while Jen isn't home, I tiptoe over to the door, quietly peeking through the peephole. And who could have guessed?

Jayden.

Perfect.

I open the door slightly, leaning against the doorway while crossing my arms and pulling in a deep breath. "Came to finish the job?"

Jayden fidgets, uncomfortable, shifting from one foot to the other. It's been about a month since we were last face to face and almost a week since I drove past him at the U-M campus, and yet, he hasn't changed in the slightest.

He's still unbearably gorgeous.

"Can we talk?" he asks quietly. His blue eyes are pleading, a hint of vulnerability in them that makes me hold back a sarcastic reply.

"As long as you can keep it under 120 decibels."

Okay, maybe a little sarcasm.

Jayden frowns.

"It means no yelling," I explain, taking a step back and opening the door up wider. "Just come on in."

He nods, a relieved expression flitting over his face as he enters the apartment. I walk towards the living room, taking a seat on the arm of the couch, forcing him to stand up.

"Well, you wanted to talk," I say, gesturing for him to get started. There's something about having him in my space again that makes weird feelings turn in my stomach, and it takes a lot of effort to look unaffected by this whole thing.

"I came to apologize." He straightens up as he speaks.

"Okay." I wait for a beat. "Go ahead."

"I'm sorry, Sophie. You didn't deserve that." His voice is laced with sincerity, and the look on his face is so earnest that I can't help but falter a bit, the anger inside me slowly melting away.

"Then why did you say it?" Against my will, hurt leaks into my tone, and Jayden swallows.

"It's... I-" he cuts off, running a hand through his hair. "It's a really long story."

"I have time."

"Okay." He nods, looking around the room.

He seems lost. Like he doesn't really know how to start whatever it is he's about to tell me. And maybe beyond that, too. That's what finally breaks through my resolve. He looks so unbearably sad; it breaks my heart a little.