Chapter 5: Weird Encounters

"I don't know about that," I chuckled awkwardly, dreading this incoming moment. "They're all asleep though, I should get going." I stared back at William, only to meet his gaze. He seemed fixed on something. His eyes kept meeting mine, he stared for a while. He looked deep into my eyes, I could tell he was contemplating something.

"It's pretty late, love, nine-thirty at night. Why don't you just stay over?" I looked at William, questioning his sanity. There was no way I was going to stay the night at his house. I barely knew him.

"That's ok-"

"Darling, you have no car and it's pretty late. There's no point in driving you home, we work together." He had a smirk on his face, as if he were up to something. You wondered what he was thinking behind that mischievous look.

"William, I haven't showered and I don't have any clothes. And I just met you!"

"You should be able to trust your boss,
Y/N." William cooed, then throwing me a pile of clothes which I assumed to be my pajamas.

"You can wear this for the night. Follow me, I'll show you the guest room."

Questioning my choice making, I looked down at the clothes in disregard. They were huge, which was understandable. Afton was a very tall man. But how was I supposed to wear this?

William started walking towards another doorway, and I assumed that to be my que to follow him. Extremely hesitant, I trudged behind him with a feeling of incoming regret.

The room he showed me was nearly empty and bland. It had a bed, with drawers and a wooden vanity, piled up with papers. Everything seemed normal and boring. I was honestly disappointed by the lack of results. For Afton, I was expecting something really bizarre or chaotic.

"Thanks..." I mumbled. Not that appreciative of his overcompensation for my stay.

"No problem, darling. Knock on my door if you need anything." William walked out as soon as he finished speaking. I shut the door behind him and started changing, fighting the idea to sneak out while he wasn't here.

The clothes were rather baggy, but they actually looked decent on me. I wore a loose, long sleeve black shirt, with baggy, grey sweatpants.

I looked at the window, then the bed. If I left, it was just going to make my job a lot more difficult. But at the same time, William was too pushy and was very hard to convince. Also very manipulative. He didn't seem like a bad person, but his way of speaking to people was just odd.

It was late and I needed to get sleep, whether it be at my home or someone else's. I took a deep breath and tried to relax, this being easy since I was already very tired. As I drifted off I heard a door creek open. I assumed it was William just using the bathroom, and finally fell asleep.

William POV:
I wanted to see Y/N before I fell asleep. I don't know why, I usually would've killed my victim by now. But for some reason, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

I opened her door and found her sound asleep. I noticed she had a peaceful look on her face. It reminded me of what she looked like with Elizabeth. She was very caring towards my children. This was difficult.

The knife felt very heavy suddenly, and so I put it down on the table next to me. I don't think I am able kill her, even if I was supposed to. Something about her just attracted me. Of course she was beautiful, but there was something else. I shut her door and went back into the kitchen, forever keeping that knife away from her pretty, little head.

Y/N POV:
I woke up, but it was still dark out. I checked the time and it was only four in the morning. I figured my body didn't handle the unfamiliar environment very well.

I got up from the bed, and walked towards the bathroom to get ready. Everyone else was most likely asleep right now, so I wasn't too worried.

As I was coming back from using the bathroom, I saw another shadow behind me. Dreadfully, I thought it was William, but I turned around and it was none other than Micheal staring at me, he looked terrified.

"Oh, Micheal. What are you doing up this early?" He looked around anxiously, as if checking for something. Maybe he had a nightmare. I decided on consoling the scared boy and walked over to him, he was currently at his bedroom doorway.

Michael's body was shaking, and he hadn't even blinked once. Without notice, he grabbed me and pulled me into his room. The door shut behind us.

"I had a nightmare..." He muttered, rubbing his arm in shame at his own fear. It seemed he didn't want to bring this up to anyone else. He was probably embarrassed.

"There's nothing here. What happened?"

"Nothing. Can you just like sit there and watch me sleep?" Michael suggested, his voice and body insecure.

"Sure. But I'm telling you that you are perfectly safe." You smirked, pulling a chair to the wall near his bed. Michael got into his bed with a frown on his face.

"That's what you think."

That was the end of our discussion as Michael turned the other direction and fell asleep to me watching him. I actually felt a hint of fear at his last words to me. Was I not supposed to be confident in my safety? Was safety not guaranteed in his household?

About twenty minutes later I hadn't seen Micheal move, so I got up from where I was and quietly walked out of his room. Nothing much happened in that time span, I tried thinking about what Michael meant. But all of my conclusions made me want to run from where I was standing.

I was going to walk back into my room, once again, but this time I was pulled away. As soon as I left Micheal's doorway, someone grabbed my wrist and dragged me towards another room. I could only assume it was William, due to the largeness of the hands.

When we finally arrived in the room, I realized my assumptions were right. His room was slightly brighter and I could see his face. He looked really confused, perturbed. I wondered what got him so rattled this early.

"What did Michael say to you?"

"He just had a nightmare, what do you mean?" William looked down, then back at me. He still seemed confused. I wondered why he was so concerned about our topic of conversation.

"Michael can ramble about things sometimes and scare off people. I just wanted to make sure he didn't do that to you." I deadpanned, unimpressed. William just told me his son scared off his other flings. What a jerk.

"No. He went to sleep right away." His face looked more puzzled by this.

"Really?"

"Yes?" I rolled my eyes.

"It's so hard getting him back to sleep when he's like this. My ex-wife was really good with that. I can't believe you were able to, no problem..."

Here we go again, more mentions of his lady friends. I didn't even know why I cared. I shouldn't, it's just a common courtesy.

"Uh, yeah no problem." I concluded. William snapped out of his daze and focused back onto me, his smile returning.

"Well since we're both up, do you wanna go get coffee, or something?" He spoke too confidently to my liking. And I didn't want to accept another invitation because I was going to get stuck in his company again.

But I couldn't get those words out of my mouth.