Astraea.

"Have y'all seen Zane?" Felix walks over to Bianca and me

"Have y'all seen Zane?" Felix walks over to Bianca and me. I shake my head.
"No, where is he?" He shrugs, looking around the place "He didn't tell anyone that he was leaving"

"Maybe he just went back to the base?" Roxy suggests, playing with the lacy sleeve of her dress. "Maybe. But he never usually leaves with telling anyone. Might be an emergency. I say we should just report back to base"

I turn towards Bella, my new friend, who also happens to love Icees as much as I do.
"Take care! I'll see ya soon" she smiles, two deep dimples appearing on both sides of her face.
"Sure! Let's plan anything soon?" I nod and leave with the others.

Back at the base, when we don't find him anywhere, Felix suggests calling him.
"If I call, I just know I'm gonna get shouted at. He doesn't like it when I question his 'ability'" he air quotes.
Bianca nods. "Same" Roxy nods too, and all their eyes fix on me.

"What?" I nervously pat my hair. Bianca crosses her arms and gestures towards my phone.
"He tolerates you better than he tolerates anymore. You should try calling him"

I awkwardly dial his number, which, by the way, is the only one that I remember, and hold the phone to my ear.

He picks it up after a few rings. Felix immediately mouths "turn on the speaker!" I do as told.

"What?" His voice booms. I almost flinch at how deep it is. I bite my lip and ask "Where are you?" I hear something on the other side before he responds.
"None of your fucking business"

My jaw falls open at the blatant disrespect. Felix holds back a smile.
"What? All I did was ask you where you were. Everyone's worried. Get back to base ASAP"

He sighs.
"I'm not a fucking kid, Astraea. I can go out without getting myself killed. I'll get back whenever I feel like it" he cuts the call.

Just a second after the call ends, Felix throws his head back, laughing. His face turns red and he has to hold the edge of a desk to prevent himself from falling over. Bianca rolls her eyes, unamused.

"What has gotten into him? Is he okay?" Roxy questions as she watches Felix judgementally.

"He's an arrogant, disrespectful piece of shit. That's what it is" I say, my body burning from the amount of anger inside. All I fuckin' did was ask him to come back since we were all worried, but he has to act like a dick and be straight up rude. I almost throw the phone at Felix's head when his laughter doesn't stop.

"Stupid idiot" I mumble and leave the room, heading home. Rina is staying over at her parent's place for the weekend, and I decide to go back to mom's.

I walk along the sidewalk since the only car I own is mom's, and she needs it to go to work. I buy an Icee on the way and think over my conversation with Zane.

Why was he mad? Did I do something? Did anybody else do something?

I mean, he has a habit of blowing up over random things, so this must be one of those situations where someone said something slightly offensive and he left to clear his head since the guy can't take criticism.

I shrug and make my way to the front door. Just as I'm about to push it open, Ria walks out, her hair in a bun with one of my shirts on. I gasp.
"How dare you take my shirt from 2013" she rolls her eyes.

"What? Were you planning to give it to your grandchildren?" I push her aside and walk into the living room. Mom sits on the couch, a magazine in her hand.

When she spots me, she immediately rushes over to wrap me in a warm hug, stroking my back lovingly.
"Oh, you're so busy nowadays, sweetheart. You never visit!" She sits me down on the sofa and slides a plate of brownies my way. I thankfully engulf each one.

"What has you so busy, anyway?" I shrug, taking a large bite of the brownie.
"College. New friends. Potential mate. All that stuff" I say with my mouth full.

She clasps a hand over her mouth.
"Oh my God! Who is he?" I hesitate.

If I tell her that my friends are practically cult members and my potential mate is a guy with anger issues and a god complex, and is also known as the son of Satan, I wonder if she'll just be disappointed or deny having any daughter named Astraea.

I kinda don't wanna know.

"He's...a nice guy. He's sweet, caring, he...." What else can I make up?
"He buys me Icees and takes me out on d-dates" I stutter at the number of lies I just let out in one sitting.

Her eyes glow.
"Aww, he seems like such a nice guy! Kinda sad you didn't date Cal"

Cal. Oh shit.

"That reminds me, I need to call him" I walk upstairs to my room and hop on the bed. As I take out my phone to text him, it immediately rings.

Zane. Ah. Did he realise that I didn't stick around long enough for him to see me when he got back?

"Hello. I think you dialled the wrong number. Last I remember you-"

"Astraea. I need to see you. Right now" his voice sounds panicked. I start panicking too.

"Oh my god, someone's trying to kill me, isn't it? Someone's after me-"

"Shut the fuck up and meet me back at the restaurant" he cuts me off. Rude.
"Fine. I'll be there in ten minutes" I say and end the call.

When I rush downstairs, I see mom making something in the kitchen. She smiles when she sees me.
"Off to somewhere?" I nod.
"Duty calls" she laughs and bobs her head, turning back towards the pot on the stove. I take her keys before running.

I hurry out the door and get in mom's car, driving straight to the restaurant. It seems pretty urgent. I mean, he doesn't usually call me like this. My mind rummages with thousands of possibilities.

Mal? Tyril? Me? Someone hurt? Someone dying?

Oh, my god. What if Felix is dead? Or Bianca? Or Roxy? What am I gonna do then? Shit, I'm screwed.

I park the car in the lot and step into the restaurant, heading straight for the top floor. When I reach upstairs, I notice Felix and Bianca outside of Zane's office door. I sigh in relief.

"Oh my God, you two are fine! I thought somebody died!" Felix walks up to me and shakes his head.
"Zane says that he needs to talk to you urgently. I don't know what the matter is. He won't tell us"

Bianca steps from behind him and for the first time in my life, puts a hand over my shoulder. I panic.

"You guys are scaring me. He's not gonna kill me, is he?" Felix shrugs.
"No idea"

I knock on the door twice before his authoritative voice booms from inside.

"Enter"

A/N

Are y'all gonna get smut or are y'all gonna get suspense? Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Seriously tho, I know how bad yall want them to kiss or have sex or do SOMETHING. I promise it's coming. I just want to make sure that they're both ready and trust each other. It's gonna be worth the wait, I promise ;)

Anyway, be sure to vote, comment and tell me what you think!

-Author.