Epilogue.

Little feet come running down the hall, and the door to my study bursts open. I look up from my book, and see Iris in the doorway, her hair neatly brushed away from her face into two adorable pigtails.

She runs to me, arms raised. I smile and set the book down, leaning down to pick her up. She giggles as I set her down on my lap.

"Daddy?" She asks with a small voice.
"Yes?" I swirl one of her pigtails in my hand.

"Who was Astraea?"

Now that she's five, she finally realises the fact that we visit her grave all the time. And it's natural for her to be curious. After all, she has put countless daisies on her stone. She deserves to know.

"Momma says that she was your world before her" I smile at her, and brush the little strand of hair away from her eyes.

"Momma's right, little one" I bring out a photo frame of Astraea and hold it out in front of her.
"This is was my Iris before you" She gasps and stares at her.

"She's so pretty" I laugh when she kisses her photo.
"I know, baby"

"She was the craziest, most reckless girl daddy knew. Sometimes, she would make me so mad that my veins almost bursted" She giggles.

"Like uncle Felix?"
"Exactly like uncle Felix"

"What was she like?" Her tiny little voice says. I hmm.
"She was like the first ray of sunshine. Like a warm cup of coffee on a rainy day. She was like a golden field during sunset" I kiss her head.

"Did you love her like you love Momma?"

I set the frame down at the question, and stroke her hair.
"Yes, and no"

"What do you mean, daddy?" She asks, confused.
"You're too young to understand what I mean, baby. You'll know what I mean when you're older"

"Did she like Icees?" She asks, turning around. I tilt my head.
"Icees ran in her veins instead of blood, little one. Just like you"

She thinks it through for a second.
"Will I ever meet her?"

I nod, my eyes automatically drifting to the beautiful face on the photo frame.
"Hopefully"

"Daddy?"
"Yeah?"
"Should we go put flowers on her grave?"

We walk out the door, her little hand holding my finger. Everly looks at me and nods her head, her smile widening when she notices Iris with the crocheted flowers in her arms.

"Date night?" She mouths. I laugh and mouth back "Sure"

Iris and I reach the gates of Astraea's burial site. I wanted her as close to me as possible. Felix suggested that we bury her in the front yard, for everyone to see. But I couldn't bear walking past her grave every single day.

So, she lays at rest in the back yard, in a large, enclosed space made just for her. With flowers, and bees, and butterflies to accompany her when I'm not there.

We open the gate and Iris goes running to her grave, putting the flowers on her.

We sit there for sometime, but I feel my throat construct slightly when I read the words on her gravestone.

Astraea Dione Iglesias. Daughter. Lover. Friend. Sister. Resting in a place with lots of Icees and sunshine.

I hear Everly's voice from the other side of the railing.
"Iris, let daddy be alone for sometime, love"

I raise my head and smile.
"I love you" I mouth.
"I love you, too" She mouths back.

Iris kisses my cheek one last time before running out the graveyard, to her mother. I rest my back against the stone.

"Astraea Dione Iglesias..."

"You would've loved the new Icee flavour. Iris asks me to buy it for her every single time we leave the house" I brush a hand over the carving.

"Thank you for being my boulder" I lay my head back and close my eyes, my throat tightening even more.

"Sometimes, I feel fine. But then, there are some nights when I miss you so much that I can't breathe" I look over the horizon, at the setting sun.

"Today is one of those nights" A sob leaves my lips.

"I-" I take a moment to compose myself. "I hope you're in a place with a shit ton of Icees. I can't wait to see you again"

I stay there for hours, calming myself down. I imagine her smile, her laughter, the way she pouted, and I feel myself slipping away into a kind of misery I can't get out of.

Evelyn comes to check up on me, and I bury myself into her arms, sobs shaking my body violently.

"You'll see her again, Zane. You'll be okay"

I lay there for a long time, but finally, my tears dry up, and I stand up, motioning Eve towards the gate.

She laughs and takes my hand, leading me out. Before we leave, I look at my pinky promise one last time.

Until we meet again, Iris.

A/N

I can't say anything right now. I'll explain what's on my mind in the author's note in the next chapter, but I just can't believe that their story finally came to an end. I know yall are cursing me right now. I know that they deserved a happy ending, but trust me, it was for the best.

Anyway, be sure to vote, comment and tell me what you think!

-Author.