Ch 25 High Priestess

After our breakfast meeting Lucas and I follow Arthur back to the academy, he told us to wait in Lucas dorm room while he went to his office to contact the High Priestess of the Ember Sky Coven, Gwendolyn Emerson.

"Lucas, can you tell me about the High Priestess, why is everyone so scared of her?" I asked as we sat on his couch with me cuddled up on his lap like usual.

"I'm not afraid of her." Lucas scoffed offended and I looked up at him with a playful glare, but he just rolled his eyes and sighed. "She's powerful and old, she is a Crone."

"That's rude, Lucas. How can you say that." I scolded but he just threw his head back and laughed.

"No, baby, that's one of her titles, she is the Crone of her coven, it's like an elder and being a Crone she also serves on the Magic Council." He said with a chuckle. "And I wasn't trying to be rude when I called her old, it's just a fact. I don't know her exact age but I know she fought in the last great Vampiric War and that was over 100 years ago. If the history books are correct I think she was a Mother of her coven back then, which is like the leader." He explained in a flurry of information I was having trouble keeping up with.

"Wait, Vampiric... Like in vampires?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes Alexandra, vampires." Lucas said and laughed at my shocked reaction. "I know what your thinking but don't worry, a new King took over after the war and made it against the law for a vampires to kill humans... Though there are still a few loopholes they exploit, but that's a story for another time." He said as he scratched the back of his head, I nodded in agreement, though I'm actually really curious about vampires too, but right now I should focus on the High Priestess.

"Ok so back to topic... What else do you know about the High Priestess other than she is a powerful old lady Crone?" I asked and Lucas threw his head back as he laughed loudly again.

"Just make sure you don't say that to her face or she might turn you into a toad." Lucas said.

"Can she really do that?" I asked in surprise and nervousness.

"Ow ya, I'm sure she does it all the time." Lucas answered with a serious tone but the smirk he was failing to keep off his lips let me know he was lying.

"You ass!" I exclaimed and slapped his shoulder, making him start laughing all over again.

"No, in all seriousness witches aren't like humans, they live for a very long time and gain more control over their arcane magic the older they get."

"What's arcane magic?"

"Arcane magic is... Now let me see if I can explain this right... It's the energy that flows through the earth and through all living things, some call it mana or essence, it's a measure of a fundamental power... Like water for example, the arcane magic would be the pressure that makes a stream flow or a river rage, witches and warlocks can tap into this power, though some are easier to control than others. And just like you saw Gill throwing fire balls, usually they're drawn to a certain type of arcane power that comes more naturally to them, yet they can still improve their other skills through study and training and depending on their skill level they are granted titles in their coven to show their rank."

"Wow, ok but what's the rank for men? I mean I can't see them being ok with having the title of Mother of a coven or anything like that." I asked and Lucas chuckled.

"No I don't think they'd be to fond of that either." Lucas agreed with a laugh. "Unlike werewolf's which pretty much have a hierarchy, witches are a monarchy. Their females are usually more powerful and gain their abilities faster than males, something about them maturing at a younger age, the highest honor for a warlock is having the title of High Mage Priest, but there have only been two in history and one of them got corrupted by power, turned into a dark mage and led a rebellion against the Witch council. But again that's a tale for another time, infact after this is all over I'll take you to the library and get you full access to the historical archives so you can learn about all the races."