Ch 1 New School

(Alexandra Wright POV)

What exactly separates humans from animals?

Is it the fact that we have more complex brain patterns or the fact that we don't live off of pure instincts?

Humans are meant to be civilized, the dominant species in this world, but what if that isn't true?

My parents died in a car accident when I was three years old, no one knows how I alone survived, they assumed I was somehow thrown from the vehicle. Everyone said I was to little to remember what actually happened, but I do. I remember the feeling of weightlessness as the car rolled down the steep hill. I remember watching the roof cave in above my head while I stayed securely strapped into my car seat. I remember a reddish black liquid that stained the inside of the car. 

I was scared and crying, it was dark. I heard howling and loud banging noises. I don't know how much time passed before I saw a large animal I would later know was a wolf through the shattered, deformed structure that was left of the window next to me. In my little eyes it looked huge, solid black with dark blue eyes, I know now that I should have been afraid but I wasn't. The wolf moved closer, then out of sight and the next thing I knew the door was pulled open, I still remember the sound of the medal scraping and bending. Then I was pulled out of the car by a large man, I remember he was so warm and his long black hair was soft, for some reason I felt safe.

By the time I could tell anyone what had happened, no one believed me, they said I had a vivid imagination or I just dreamt it up and in the orphanage where I was raised, I was picked on and given the nickname 'wolf girl'. But despite the fact that no one believed me, that man and that wolf are the reason I decided to dedicate my life to becoming a veterinarian. I still believe if it wasn't for that wolf finding me that man never would have and I'd probably be dead right now.

Because I'm an orphan I had to work extra hard and I graduated at the top of my class, earning a scholarship for college. It was difficult and I didn't have time to make friends, but during summer vacations I volunteered at a nature and wildlife reserve which gave me extra credit and work experience. That's where I met my only friend, Diego and his father Mr. Mendez or Pops for short, we became really close and they said that once I graduated school there would always be a place for me at the reserve.

During my fourth year there was a problem at my collage and I lost my scholarship, but luckily I was accepted to the Crescent Academy, a highly prestigious private school just a few hours drive from my little home town of Shadybrooke. When I first arrived to the big city of Stones Burrow, it was bigger than I had imagined, skyscrapers, stores and shops of every kind. Swarms of people and cars lined the streets, so different from my tiny home town.

When we got to the campus I immediately noticed it's surrounded by a thick forest and I couldn't even see the Academy from the road. The cab had to stop at a large rod iron gate with a guard shack. The security guard appeared to be in his mid 30's with light brown hair and he looked at me strangely as I handed him my identification. He walked back into his little shack and came back out a minute later as the gate began to open.

"Sorry about the wait, Ms. Wright, there's someone waiting for you at the main building. Welcome to Crescent Academy." He announced with a smile on his face.

"Thank you." I said a little confused by his drastic change in attitude and the cab started driving again as soon as the gate was clear.

The drive was beautiful, trees lined the road for the first three minutes, then it opened and I drew in an amazed breath as a huge castle like structure came into view. It was magnificent like something pulled straight out of a movie, with a big curved double staircase leading to a huge set of intricately carved doors.