Chapter 17 - The Execution

In the Divination class, the students gaze into crystal balls. Their faces reflecting the mist within, so that their very skin seems to be made of smoke. Conspicuously, Y/N, Jorden and Flo sit apart.

"Crystal-gazing requires that you clear the Inner Eye." Professor Trelawney says "Only then, will you see. Oh my, what do we have here?" As she eyes Y/N's crystal, Flo rolls her eyes.

"Here we go again. It's the Grim! It's the Grim!" Flo says sarcastically

Trelawney's eye's narrow "My dear, from the moment you first arrived in my class, I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shrivelled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave."

Stung, Flo starts to reply, but remarkably seems incapable of a single word. Rising gracelessly, she exits, knocking her crystal ball to the floor. Y/N watches curiously as the ball rolls slowly out the doorway.

"In late spring, one of our numbers will leave us forever! You knew, Professor! You saw." a Ravenclaw girl says

"On these occasions, I take no joy in my gift, Miss Smith." the Professor says with a warm smile

Jorden nudges Y/N's arm "do you think Flo will be alright"

Y/N nods "I think so, she never liked this class to begin with" and Jorden nods as the lesson continues.

As the student's exit, Jorden, walking separately from Y/N, he turns to a few Hufflepuff boys. "She's gone mental, Trelawney has. I mean, not that she wasn't always mental, but the way she treated Flo-"

Jorden stops and glances at Y/N then moves off. "You go, I'll catch up," Y/N says and Jorden nods. She watches him go along with the others, then spies Flo's crystal ball lying outside the class.

Y/N sets Flo's crystal back on its stand, starts to go when suddenly, the smoke within the crystal darkens. Leaning close, Y/N watches the shape that appears.

Sirius Black

Just then, a shadow crawls the glossy surface of the crystal but a hand snatches Y/N's shoulder.

"Professor Trelawney-"

"He will return tonight" Y/N stiffens.   Trelawney's voice is eerily hollow.

"Sorry," Y/N says

"Tonight, when the clock strikes twelve, the servant shall break free. He and his Master shall be reunited. It cannot be prevented." Trelawney says. She smiles savagely then her head falls forward. When it rises she blinks and eyes the hand that lies upon Y/N's shoulder. "So sorry, dear child. Did you say something?"

Y/N shakes her head "no, nothing" she says and exits the Divination class

---------------------------------------------------------

It's the next day and the group go and visit Hagrid before the go an execute Buckbeak. A pot-bellied man which Y/N assumes to be the executioner sits in the courtyard and sharpens his axe. The group hurrying past and make their way over the bridge.

"I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak! It's too horrible." Hermione says standing close to Y/N's side

"It just got worse." Harry says and see Malfoy along with Crabbe and Goyle with binoculars in hand, spying on Hagrid, who stands in the pumpkin patch, tossing dead ferrets to Buckbeak. Hagrid wipes his eyes, lopes into the hut.

"Did you see the big, fat blubbering oaf?! Oh, this is going to be rich. Did I tell you, father said I can keep the head" Draco says then turns to the approaching group "Ah. Come to see the show?"