PROLOGUE: That one Summer...

BILLIE-ANN

(12 years old)

We were at camp Takana when I first noticed. It was our first day and the councilors let everyone run to the lake for a swim with our clothes and shoes on, it was to break the ice.

My bunkmate Ming and I were splashing each other with water when I saw Ryder Salvatore sitting behind a tree. I knew 3 things about him from being in the same junior high.

Firstly, his father was a pastor in our town Bluebell. Secondly, he is freakishly good at every sport he participates in and lastly he always wore long sleeves even when it's scorching hot.

"Don't you want to swim with everyone?" I remove my wet socks, my shoes already drying by the lake dock.

"No." Ryder looks back at everyone having fun. "I'm not a fan of water."

I assumed he didn't know how to swim but as he tossed a rock at a tree, the sleeve of his baseball t-shirt moved up a little, revealing a bruise around his wrist.

"What happened to your arm?"

"Nothing." He stands and tugs at his sleeve to cover his forearm.

"That doesn't look like nothing."

I grab his wrist and pause when he winces. I slowly push his sleeve up and expose a line of bruises travelling up his arm, I check his other arm to find the same thing. I give him a look but he doesn't say anything.

"Ryder—"

"Let go Porter." He jerks his hands from my hold.

"Why do—"

"Mind your own business," he bumps my shoulder as he walks away.

I didn't sleep a wink that night because I realized someone was hurting him and the reason he couldn't swim was because he didn't want anyone to find out.

Ryder avoided me that summer and since we were in different groups I barely saw him around camp till the last night at the bonfire. I went to the bathroom after dinner to find him waiting for me outside.

"I saved you an ice-cream sandwich, Ming says you love them."

He holds it out as I wipe my wet hands against my shorts. I eyed his long sleeve Henley and cut out black shorts that match his chuck Taylors.

"Thank you?" I look around not sure what else to say. "They are my favorite."

"You didn't tell anyone about what you saw." He follows when I walk back to the bonfire. "Why?"

"I don't know." I shrug. "Did you want me to?" I pause to look at him.

"I didn't," he shakes his head. "It's not as bad as it looked so you don't have to worry." He runs his hand through his curly brown hair.

"If you say so."

I know someone is hurting him but it's clear he wants me to stay out of it. I don't want to but I have to respect his decision.

"Porter, stay still okay?" I freeze. "Don't move an inch." I blink as he takes a step towards me.

"Is something on me—" I'm cut off by his lips connecting to mine. His hands follow and cup my face as he closes the space between us.

That was how Ryder Salvatore, stole my first kiss.

I never told anyone about what I saw that first day of summer camp. Or what happened on the last night and he never talked to me again that year.