CHAPTER 7: Two Best Friends, One Girl

BILLIE-ANN

Things didn't change after my surprise birthday party.

Everyone was nice on that night but Dash warned me that Ming made sure that their kindness was only a onetime thing and it was for Ryder's sake. Everybody still ignores and avoids me like before.

Since Dash—my only friend—is back in New York, I am now in the park eating cotton candy alone on a bench during the 4th of July.

I was going to stay home but my mother bribed me to go out because everyone loses their minds on this weekend and she wanted me to enjoy it with my peers. I came to the secluded park because the view of the fireworks is good and far away from people—especially my peers.

Nothing is more awkward than wondering around town alone while friends and families laugh and enjoy BBQ. Plus nothing says, happy Independence Day! like some independence, right?

Look, I know it sounds sad but I am really used to it. Last year, all the kids in my class posted pictures at some secret location that I wasn't invited to.

Yes, it hurt to be the only one excluded but I still had fun with my parents who were hosting. I also got pity gifts from them and was allowed to eat all the marshmallows I wanted.

"Well-well, if it ain't little o'l Porter." Levi drops next to me and takes a bite of my cotton candy. "Tasty," he offers me a playful smile as a greeting.

"Mr. Ackerman." I tip my head as some kids run around.

Okay, maybe my secluded park is more like a kid zone but it's still better than being around my peers. One of the kids actually shared their gum with me and another called me 'pretty'.

I blinked like an idiot because it had been so long since anyone other than my family said it but I could see he meant it. His toothy smile when I said 'you too' made my day.

"You look bored." He offers me his popcorn but I decline. "Want to go get drunk in the bell tower and watch America's sky light up and chase the stars away?"

He wiggles his eyebrows like I always do and that alone is already making me smile but then it sinks in what he is proposing.

Did I actually just get an invite to a 4th of July secret party? But if I go, I know I will be ignored—like I was at Ryder's party where thankfully had Dash.

"Nah. I'm good right here." I sip my slushy that I spiked with left over vodka from my birthday party. "You want some?" I hand it to him.

"Is that vodka?" He chokes and coughs after taking a sip.

"Probably should have warned you," I pat his back as we both laugh.

"You think?" He takes a second and longer sip, accepting the little burn it has because it comes with a lot of delight.

I might have added more than I needed to but it was either that or crying and I am done crying over things I can't control.

"See, it's not so bad."

I am proud of my concoction. It still tastes like a slushy but has that little kick that scorches a little the first time you try it but taste like heaven the second time, kind of like sex.

"No you aren't." He face turn serious for a split second before his usual smile returns.

Levi Ackerman. Another golden boy that no matter what he does, will always be in with the 'in-crowd.'

He is the class clown, filthy rich but very humble, doesn't take life seriously and is nice to everyone—in his own childish way. He is most-likely to succeed and charm the pants off a teacher because no matter how much trouble he gets into, the kid just can't lose.