CHAPTER 4: Red is for Danger or Is it Love?

BILLIE-ANN

Ryder and I don't talk for 2weeks. I see him around town the few times I ride my bike but we pass each other like we don't see each other—just like we used to before the contract.

He texted a few apologies the 3days that followed our little fight but stopped when I didn't respond. I don't know if it counts as a fight since we're not even dating but it weirdly hurt my feelings.

Things get even weirder when I find him talking to my parents at the supermarket one random day. Whatever he says, makes them laugh but they stop when I appear.

"Hey honey, you know pastor Salvatore's son?" My father is the first one to see me, "Ryder."

I give him a glance. Slim fit denim blue Guess jeans, a dark grey V-neck that shows peeks of his tattoo and low converse.

"We're acquainted," I drop the box of Oreos I went to find into the shopping cart.

"Yes we are," he pushes his hands into the front pocket of his jeans. "How are you doing Porter?" He asks but I pull out my phone and ignore him.

"Billie-Ann," my mother hisses at my bad manners but I ignore her too.

"Okay," he exhales. "Thank you for your time Dr. and Mrs. Porter, I should go and find my friends." Ryder keeps his chipper voice as I feel his eye on me with focused intention. "Little Porter," he nods before walking away.

"What was that about?" I push the cart behind my parents when my mother snatches my phone away.

"Nothing." They smile at each other while I look back at where he disappeared to.

See, weird.

On the weekend of my birthday, my parents go all out for my 15th. My mother takes me to the salon for a blowout, gets me a red dress with an off-the-shoulder neckline and tutu skirt bottom that stops in the middle of my thighs and I wear it with strap Dr Martens boots.

I am even allowed to get a helix piercing on my right ear and the 2nd lobe piercing on both my ears. I consider darkening my hair since the summer sun is making it lighter but my mother talks me out of it because the light highlights, "suit my eyes."

They are actually starting to look more green than hazel.

My actual birthday is on Sunday but we have dinner in the city on Saturday night at some fancy restaurant. My brother and grandparents fly down to join us and they gift me a fancy bag while my brother gives me a $100 Amazon gift card and a homemade hug coupon.

"Where are we going?"

I ask when they make a turn towards the abandoned barn between the city and Bluebell. Dinner was delicious but the fitted waist of my dress is too tight and I am ready to ditch it.

"We have one last gift for you."

My father smiles as I text Dash. He feels terrible for missing my birthday and is currently scolding me for not recognizing that my grandparents got me a vintage Fendi handbag.

I was wondering why it came with an authentication certificate.

"Okay honey, we have to blindfold you for this one." My mother holds out a red scarf.

"This better be a car," I turn around so she can cover my eyes.

I have nothing to lose, so I follow their guidance as we walk in silence. I hear the barn door open and close before my mother's voice travels into my ear.

"Happy birthday sweetie," she removes the blindfold to reveal a dark room.

"Surprise!" The lights go on and people in the room cheer.