CHAPTER 12: Confessions of a Pastor's Kid

RYDER

I'm sitting on my bench after practice when she sits next to me in biker shorts and water-resistant vest, her hair is held up in a ponytail but some of the strands are falling over her face.

I've been dreading this moment since she came back to school.

"You're a good striker," is the first thing she says before grabbing her water bottle.

"Thank you," I try not to stare at her. "What are you doing here? You don't take after school extracurricular activities especially not sports."

"So we were friends before I lost my memory?" I feel her eyes on me.

"Not really, we go to church together but other than that you ignored everyone at school except Dash." I shrug loosening the laces of my soccer boots.

"Then why did you throw me a birthday party?" I turn to look at her. "I found photos and when I asked Dash he said you got everyone to come and even asked him to fly out."

"Like I said church, you mentioned it once and I just talked to your parents..." Shit I didn't mean to bring them up, "...sorry. I didn't mean—"

"—its okay." She offers me a smile. "The doctor says exercising is a good way to keep busy and let out some frustration as I wait for my memory to return."

My mind immediately goes to us in her bed letting out frustrations in a different way, "but most of the teams are filled so I'm trying out for a few this week." She continues.

"Do swimming," I stand. "You're fastest in water than on the ground, you have stamina and can hold your breath longer than anyone I know."

Porter's legs are her best assets, she won races and had the best time in the water at summer camp. I asked why she wasn't in a team one time and she said she didn't want to join any activity because people would just cast out.

"And you say we're not friends," she snorts making the annoying sound look adorable.

"We weren't, we just grew up together." I release a deep breath, I'm trying really hard not to wince but my back is killing me.

"Can I ask you one more question before you go?" She stands up and I nod, "where did you get your ink? The places I checked out want parental consent or say I have to be 18."

"Getting tatted up Porter?" I can't help but smile.

"Something like that," her smile nearly makes my heart jump out of my chest.

I still can't believe she's standing in front of me, alive, moving and smiling, every time I sneaked off to the city to see her while she was in a coma I'd find her unmoving, lifeless and sometimes dead.

I admit I cried a few times because it hurt to be in a world without her obnoxious remarks and sassy attitude, Billie-Ann wasn't just anyone she was the one and I'm glad the big guy spared her.

She is my first kiss, the first girl I ever slept with. The first person to notice someone was hurting me, she is closest to the one I might ever come.

"I got a guy who can help but fair warning he's the mayor's nephew." Her eyes shoot up, she must be the only one who doesn't know Crease.

"Just say when," she walks away.

I spend the rest of my day thinking about that conversation with her, just like in camp Takana she came to me when I was having the worst day ever as I was trying to hide my physical pain.

Crease gets the guy who got me my parental consent to get one for Billie-Ann, I am excited to deliver it to her the following day but stop when someone pulls me into the janitors closet.