CHAPTER 11: First Day of School

BILLIE-ANN

"This is the uniform?" I stare at my reflection in the mirror.

It's horrible, I know everyone says that about their uniform but a navy pleaded skirt, matching ribbon, white shirt, white socks then a burgundy fitted blazer? Who in the hell—

"—you wore it with black platform Dr Martens." Augiie appears at my door, "the dress code is loose so they allow you guys to add your own style to it."

"Did I do that?" I walk to my closet and take out my platform Doc's, I have 3 different pairs of Dr Martens boots. One black zip ups, cherry red ones and the platforms.

"Nope, you were sort of vanilla." He walks in, Augiie didn't want to go back to his old school so he attends some private school in the next town and his uniform is better. "Always held your hair back and off your face too."

"Do you miss her? The old vanilla me I mean" I look at my baby brother, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I have one.

Auggie has brown gold hair like me, but he cuts into a fade instead of leaving it as it is like I do. His eyes are more green than hazel like mine, he looks like a younger version of our father whose photo is on my bookshelf.

"Considering I never thought I'd hear you walk, talk or stand in this room again I'd say no." He opens my closet, "I don't care if you never behave like the old you again. I'm just glad you're here Bills."

"I feel like an imposter," like I'm living someone's life. "Nothing feels right, not this room, uniform or just any of my old stuff." I look around my room.

Dark purple walls, double size bed in the middle with white sheets and butterfly covers and a white metal headboard with purple 3D butterfly paper pins that make it look like they are flying.

My white closet has mirror for doors and it matches my fluffy carpet and the white curtains by the balcony next to a red bookshelf filled with books, magazines, toys and photos.

My vanity has no makeup and is instead filled with lotion, deodorant, hair clips, hairbrushes and some fancy perfumes I probably got from my mother. Its across from my hat wall.

I have red, navy and black Yankees baseball caps, a black cowboy hat, lace bunny ears, gold crystal studded cat ears and a white, black and maroon bucket hats.

It all feels like someone's else things.

"You lost your memory, parents and 3months of your life." He pulls out a mesh long sleeve, "it's not supposed to feel right."

"What's this?" I look at the top he gives me.

"Wear it under your shirt, it will look cool." He walks to my dresser and pulls out white lace pantihose and throws them at me, "these too."

"But—"

"—I've noticed your new style includes a lot of blacks and dark tones, its fitting considering you're in mourning." Auggie shrugs.

"You are too," he's only 12years old and has to grow up without his parents. My heart hurts just thinking about it.

"Yeah but I changed schools, no one knows about our family there." He heads for the door, "now hurry up. You don't want to be late for your first day now do you?" He smiles before walking out.

I look at my reflection and touch the stiches over my left eyebrow, they doctor said they will leave a scar unlike the stiches on my lip and forehead.

I look busted up but I'm sort of proud of it because its proof I'm a survivor.