CHAPTER 21: The fall of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

RYDER

I wake up to a hand covering my mouth as my mother stands over me, she brings a finger to her lips as she ushers me out of Billie-Ann's bed.

I glance at her on the floor and she's sound asleep as music plays from the headsets on her ears.

"Mommy's here," it's the last thing I hear as a needle gets jabbed on the side of my neck.

I wake up on a hard paved floor as the wild blows over me, I look up and the light is full stars and it's still dark out. My mother stands in a white gown not far away making me realize we're on the roof of a building.

"Mom—mom?" I stand up as she turns around with a manic smile.

I can't tell if I am here with the Monster who has taken me to kill me or the mother who regrets everything she has done to her only son.

"Hi honey," her dry lips crack. "I see, you're awake and well."

"What—what are you doing?" I step back as she walks towards me.

"I had to see you, they put me on some medicine and told me what happened." She reaches for me as I come closer to the ledge.

"Okay?" I'm still not sure if it's my mother who's talking.

"You know I love you right?" She grabs my arm and pulls me into her chest. "I love you so much, I hurt when we're apart."

"Please let me go," I struggle in her hold as it becomes lethal.

"But you're weak," the Monster sinks her nails into my hand making me wince.

"Mom!" I yelp when she separates us to look at me. "Please, just let go!"

"Don't worry, I know what will make you strong." She pulls out a knife from the pocket of her gown making my eye expand in shock.

She's going to kill me, she's finally going to kill me.

"Oh my God," my eyes won't move away from the sharp blade.

"Kill me," she smiles so manically I start shaking with fear.

"What—what?" My eyes move from the knife to her eyes, they are empty and far like the woman standing before me.

"I know the Monster hurt you, I know I hurt you but slaying your demons will kill the fear you have," she puts the blade into my hand. "Kill it, end your suffering and mine."

"No-no!" I let it drop as her face contorts into a horrible frown.

Why did we let her go so far? Why did we feed her sickness when she clearly needed help?

"Pathetic," she shoves me away and begins slapping her head. "No! My sweet boy, I won't hurt my sweet boy." She shakes her head making the frail blonde strands on her head move.

I watch as she slaps the side of her head, clearly in an internal battle between her dark and good side, its Dr Jekyll vs Mr. Hyde.

"Enough!" The Monster wins the battle and picks up the knife, "come here."

"No!" I'm already moving away as she walks towards me.

I want to beg and plead but I know it will just make things worse so when she reaches me and drags me to ledge, I let her.

We must be at the bell tower, it's the highest building in town.

"You need to be strong or the world will break you," the monster points its blade towards the town. "I will make you strong," it let's go of my arm.

I close my eyes and do a silent prayer, I open them and brace myself for the shove that will no doubt send me to my death but instead I see a white cloth falling down instead.

I look to my side to find my mother gone, I take a step further and look out to find her disfigured body on the pavement below the knife she had in her place next to me.

"Oh my God," I cover my mouth as it dawns on me what just happened.

BILLIE-ANN

I hate her.

I have never hated someone the way I hate Mrs Salvatore, she's horrible, the devil himself envies her and her horrible actions.

How could someone be so cruel to their own son? First the years of abuse and torment, then kidnapping now the trauma of seeing her die.

Who even does that shit?!

"Excuse me, you can't pass—"

"—no she's with me." Ryder interjects making the officer lift the yellow tape.

"Oh Ryder," I run into his arms and hug him. "I am so sorry for this," I still can't believe she killed herself and made her son watch.

Like he hasn't been through enough trauma.

"Porter," its all he says before he sinks his face into my hair.

I thought that life handed me a bad deal, that I was cursed to have been a loner, outcast then to have lost my parents but my life is a cake walk compared to Ryder's.

I might not remember him but I have learned how selfless, pure and caring he is, he didn't deserve this, he didn't deserve this life.

"I am so sorry," I sob as his tears soak my hoodie.

I'm in black plaid pajama pants, a black vest and a navy zip up hoodie with Ugg boots. My uncombed hair down and messy from the harsh wind.

I woke up to a knock on the door, it was the police and they said Ryder was asking for me. When Aunt Marie told me what happened I wanted to bring that woman back to life so I could push her down myself.

She is a monster indeed, a horrible, mean and cruel person who didn't deserve to be blessed with children in the first place let alone amazing ones like Magnolia and Ryder.

"I hate her Porter," his voice crack. "I hope she burns in hell" he chokes out making my heart spilt in two.

"I know honey," I rub his back. "But you're free now," he doesn't have to be scared anymore.