Chapter Seven: Bound by Fear

Momochi Zabuza was laying in bed, recuperating from the battle, with Haku sitting beside him on a chair when it came. Soundless and without presence, Zabuza only noticed it standing behind Haku when it clapped its hand together.

   A dull, wet noise that made Haku spin on their heel, sending senbon into vital spots only for them to pass through the mass of gently bubbling blood harmlessly, thumping as they pierced into the wooden wall.

   Despite the pain, Zabuza was quick to grab Kubikiribōchō and jump out from the bed, Haku appearing by his side moments. The thing in the general shape of a human stood where it was, unmoving as the blood on the senbon slowly slithered back into its form.

   Then, it slowly opened its eyes, its horrible, horrible eyes. A swirling, pupilless blue so jarring that Zabuza felt his fingers trembling. They felt ancient, like a being that surpassed time itself was looking at him, looking into him.

   He could hear some senbon clatter to the ground beside him but Zabuza couldn't move, chained and bound by fear so primal that even his marrow froze over. He wanted to scream, to claw his own eyes out so he wouldn't have to look any longer. 

   Someone help me. Someone kill me. Kill me!

   Zabuza began to raise his sword, though this time, it wasn't to attack.

   Suddenly, pupils appeared in that terrible blue and Zabuza almost collapsed, using his sword to support himself. Haku crumbled to the ground, retching and sobbing like Zabuza dearly wanted to.

   The eyes curled like it was smiling. "Good, you'll do just fine."

   Its voice was just as awful, impossibly deep and rattling his brain like a grand war drum. Zabuza wanted to ask what that meant but his tongue was lead in his dry mouth and his legs were trembling too much to run, not that he thought he had any chance at escaping.

   A portion of its fingers turned into a haze, moving over to Zabuza and sinking into his skin. He shivered from the sensation of having his body invaded but didn't protest, all of his cuts and internal injuries healing as if they had never been there.

   It gave a hum of satisfaction. "I guess those senbon will work."

   Pointing its finger at the fallen senbon, its eyes glowed as a strand of blue came out from the tip. The string floated over, squirming before it split into four slightly smaller pieces and drilled into the senbon laying abandoned on the group. They flashed blue but soon went still, outwardly looking the same.

   However, the vibe they gave off changed completely. They became eerie and awfully sharp, sharper than even Kubikiribōchō. Zabuza stared at them for a moment before looking back up at the blood-being.

   Somehow, he managed to speak. "What..?"

   Zabuza trailed off and cringed back when those eyes turned their attention to him, but he seemed to have gotten his point across.

   "Kill some dirty things for me," it said. "The senbon will lead you to them."

   A mouth appeared on its face, curling into a sinister, wrathful grin that showed off white teeth and black gums. 

   "Make sure to pierce their hearts, or they won't die."

   Zabuza didn't dare to speak again, and Haku was in no shape to respond either, trembling on the ground as they stared at the ground, unable to look up. He watched as the eyes closed and mouth melted away, the creature breaking apart into a mist of blood and slipping through any available cracks in the wood.