Chapter Eight: Icy Chains

Haku was always a bit chilly, even when the sun was scorching or when they dressed up in three layers. It was an internal cold, a mild thing that they easily forgot about after so many years of coexistence. A result of their hyōton Kekkei Genkai, no doubt.

   But now, Haku was experiencing a brand new chill.

   A frigid hand was wrapped around their heart, freezing their blood and stiffening their muscles. Their teeth chattered softly, fingers trembling as they shivered helplessly. 

   Haku was cold.

   Haku was scared.

   As they blocked yet another blow from the horrifying being hiding beneath the skin of a person, Haku only grew more fearful. Uzumaki showed an opening, but Haku didn't dare to take it, instead hastily creating distance between them.

   Uzumaki didn't move but Haku could feel those terrible eyes looking right at them, piercing through their mask and through their flesh until their soul was laid bare. Haku didn't realize they weren't breathing until they grew dizzy from the lack of oxygen.

   Just as they gasped for breath, Uzumaki attacked once more. The kunai screeched as they collided and Haku was pushed back from the force, slipping from the water under their feet. 

   Water. Use the water.

   Haku steeled their mind, using the brief respite Uzumaki allowed them to hurry through some handsigns, mumbling, "Sensatsu Suishō."

   Hundreds of needles made from the water on the ground rose into the air, glinting threateningly as they hovered around the two of them. Haku jumped away when Uzumaki's attention turned to the needles, their frozen blood moving sluggishly once more as they sent the needles crashing down onto Uzumaki's form.

   A cloud of dust and debris floated up from where the needles landed, Uzumaki nowhere to be seen. Despite the knowledge about what Uzumaki was, Haku gripped their kunai tightly and foolishly had some hope that their attack did some damage.

   A voice came from behind them, raspy and terribly familiar, "You really like your needles."

   Haku whipped around while slashing their kunai, only to meet air as Uzumaki bent his back to avoid it, springing away on his hands. Despair, heavier than any mountain, curled around Haku's heart as they saw that he was unharmed, a satisfied smile on his face as he twirled his kunai.

   How can I fight something like this?

   The disparity between their strengths was far too great, a grand chasm that didn't appear to have a bottom. Haku had thought that they would be able to land some hits, just a scratch if nothing else considering the result they had seen from Zabuza's battle.

   But, they realized now that was a misconception. 

   That unless Uzumaki allowed it, Haku could never dream of making him bleed.

   Their fingers trembled, the kunai gradually slipping from their weakening hold. Even the sounds of Zabuza's battle with Hatake couldn't grant them any strength, any will to continue this hopeless fight. 

   I'm sorry, Zabuza-san... I've failed you.

   Just as the kunai was about to tumble to the ground, Uzumaki appeared in front of them. Haku stiffened, their grip tightening on instinct. They watched as Uzumaki reached under their haori to pull out the two gently glowing senbon, scrutinizing them.

   Haku couldn't breathe again as Uzumaki slowly nodded his head, raising his hand. Their eyes squeezed shut to prepare for the attack, but even when they heard the squelch of the senbon piercing into flesh, Haku didn't feel any pain.