Chapter Ten: Shackles That Linger

Momochi Zabuza watched the unsuspecting forms of Tazuna's family settle down for the night, the lights going out one by one until only the glow of the moon remained. The faint sounds of celebration sounded from the village once more, in honour of the bridge, their hope for the future, being completed at long last.

   It was subdued now, the few stragglers outside slowly making their way home.

   Zabuza slowly turned his gaze towards Tazuna's room.

   Tazuna, the Master Bridge Builder.

   Tazuna, the man who stepped up against Gatō when no one else would.

   The senbon's blue glow peeked out from his pouch, eager, hungry.

   Tazuna, the infected.

   It was almost funny when Zabuza thought about it. How his time in Nami started and ended with his blade aiming for Tazuna's throat, the only difference being that this time, no one was going to stop him.

   Taking on Gatō's mission was both Zabuza's greatest misfortune and fortune. For while he was now forced to follow the whims of some eldrich blood god, he also had the funding for the coup d'etat he had been looking for, far more than he ever could have wanted. 

   And, he had a guarantee.

   A blank cheque of disaster that was incomparable to Gatō's riches.

   His lips curled beneath the bandages, forming a smile of sharp teeth and hatred. This time, he would succeed. This time, the Mizukage would fall. Of this, Zabuza was nothing if not certain. 

   After all, the Mizukage could bleed.

   Zabuza calmed his expression when Haku appeared beside him, the senbon's glow extinguishing as though disappointed.

   "It's done, Zabuza-san," Haku said.

   Their mask was fixed firmly on their face, hiding the icy white circle now etched onto their forehead. It was a strange thing, that dot. So unassuming, yet when Zabuza had gotten close to observe it, his eyes had nearly frozen on the spot from that terrible, ancient cold.

   Haku had said they didn't have any memories regarding how they got it, blocked by a migraine more painful than being stabbed, but there was no doubt in Zabuza's mind from where it came from. Where his own piercing headache came from.

   Uzumaki's parting words rang in his ears:

   "Use the Eye's gift well. Give it a good show."

   The Eye, a show. Zabuza didn't need to be a genius to figure out that there was another being like Uzumaki who had joined in on the chaos, and there was only one thing that could satisfy the appetite of such creatures. Uzumaki's torn grin at receiving the senbon soaked with the deaths of screeching parasites had been proof enough.

   And if both Uzumaki and the Eye wished for it, then who was Zabuza to deny them?

   "Then let's go." Zabuza rose from the branch he had been laying on, Kubikiribōchō resting firmly against his back. "We have a village to take back."

   Haku nodded, the two of them disappearing into the darkness.

ڪ

   Hatake Kakashi stood across from the Hokage, giving a wary glance at the lounging Naruto. The way back to Konoha had been tiring, to say the least, atmosphere stifling and no one saying a word unless necessary. And the main culprit for his suffering had seemed unaffected, happy even, a bounce in his step.