Chapter One: Chains of Blue

Sarutobi Hiruzen walked down the damp, mouldy path with a lantern in hand, the flickering light only just illuminating the silhouettes behind the steel bars. The rattling of chains and quiet, curious whispers echoed from all around him, creating a sense of unease within Hiruzen.

   This was where Naruto was held? Surrounded by criminals and the putrid stench of urine, blood and sweat? Of course, it was to be expected. It was the least that had to be done to make sure that Naruto had no means of escape. But imagining it and seeing it were vastly different things, it invoked a sense of disgust to personally witness the state of the prison.

   He let none of it show on his face, though, maintaining his mask of unbothered examination that he had perfected over the years. While his teacher had taught Hiruzen many things before his passing, the suppression of emotions was one aspect of being Hokage that he had to learn alone.

   When Hiruzen stopped in front of the cell Naruto was in, every noise in the prison ceased, like invisible hands suddenly wrapped around everyone's throat. Not even breathing could be heard except for his own, every rustle of fabric incredibly loud in the pin-drop silence.

   As he stared into the darkness of the cell, he could barely, just barely, make out the silhouette of a skinny, malnourished person standing in the corner. The flames trembled nervously as Hiruzen held the lantern closer, trying to get a better look. But the darkness within seemed especially thick, and the light especially weak.

   Hiruzen hesitated before speaking, "Naruto-kun, how are you?"

   His own voice practically boomed in his ears, the silence broken so violently that Hiruzen almost cringed. There was no response, and just as Hiruzen was about to attempt to speak again, movement came from within the cell.

   It felt like the entire world was holding its breath as Naruto stepped forward, his deathly pale face illuminated by the flames in such a way that it could be mistaken for a skeleton. It wasn't a skeleton, though. Because no skeleton would have such swirling blue eyes in their sockets.

   Hiruzen felt rooted to the spot once that gaze fell on him, as though his body was chained down right where he stood. He tried to move, but it was useless, he didn't even manage to twitch.

   Those eyes slowly examined Hiruzen from bottom to top, leisurely and uninterested yet searching for something all the same. Everywhere Naruto's gaze looked, the area felt hot and cold at the same time. The hairs on the back of his neck rose as Naruto paused at his throat, cold sweat covering his back. This ice-needle gaze couldn't be compared to the looks of the council members when he announced where he was going today.

   Naruto seemed to have found what he was looking for, however. He blinked, and it was as though a jutsu was broken and Hiruzen could move again. It was not until he took in a sharp breath that he realized he hadn't been breathing, he hadn't dared to.

   This was why Hiruzen had been so apprehensive about releasing Naruto. It had nothing to do with his strength, though that was another consideration that had to be made with great caution. It was Naruto's eyes. It had always been his eyes. 

   Whenever Naruto looked at him, it always felt like Naruto was looking through him. Like Naruto could see something deep within his body that he had to make sure was doing the right thing.

   Sometimes, it felt like there was another person behind that gaze.

   And it terrified him to the core.

   "Hello, Hiruzen," Naruto said slowly, his voice hoarse and rattling. "What a rare visit."

   Hiruzen tried to compose himself, but he could feel his mask cracking with every second he spent here.