Arrival

My feet hurt, really badly. Who would do this as a job, every day, over and over, just walking to get some snob ninja? Lukas, my bodyguard and guide to the school, was walking far ahead, scanning for any beasts.
"Come on, shortie. Walk faster. We have a while up to go. We'll be there in no time, just walk faster," he teased, looking back at me.
He was very striking, with dark eyes and caramel hair that curled around his ears. He was barely over 20, maximum 23 years old. Slight, dark stubble intensified his dark tan skin. His light pink lips looked soft and perfect.
"Ha. Ha. So funny." I said dryly, avoiding his eyes. I had stared for too long, my response late. "Tease the short one."
"Come on, Eliz. I was just joking. Gosh," he rolled his eyes at me and turned back around. He froze, seconds after I did. He felt them too. The Beasts.
A screech came from above us. I looked up, a bad idea on my part, and screamed. Lukas tackled me to the ground, covering my mouth. He covered my body with his.
"Stay down. I'm going to get rid of them. Hide somewhere low." He climbed off me and unsheathed his Katana. I crawled on my elbows, dragging my legs behind me until I was at a bush. I threw myself in it, feeling the thorns embed themselves in my bare skin.
"Eliz, the school is right up the trail. Follow the marks of "N.U" on the trees until you find the Walls. The guards at the gate will let you in. I'll be there in a few seconds," Lukas yelled, pointing in the direction we were heading. I tore from the bush and ran like a pack of wild dogs were following me.
The walls were huge, ascending above even the highest trees. They disappeared into the clouds, the permanent clouds up that high. I ran up to the gates, sensing the guards right behind them. The gates opened, and just as I was about to go in, I heard a scream that murdered my eardrums.
"Lukas!" I screamed, turning back to run towards the direction he had been at.
"He's fine, Eliz. Come on in, sweetheart. It's nice to see you arrived in one piece," a guard said, the others running out to help Lukas.