The Brother

I watched them carry in his body. He was okay, but couldn't walk. I felt so bad, so I followed them to the Medical Care building. He was set up in a hospital bed, and I snuck in to see him.
"Eliz! What are you doing?" he almost yelped, jumping when he saw me sitting by his bed.
"I'm sorry," I said, ignoring his questions. I looked down at my shoes. "I shouldn't have left you there. I should have helped."
"And then we would have two ninjas down, maybe even one killed!" he snapped, glaring at me. His eyes softened after a second. "Eliz, you didn't do nothing wrong. I told you to run. You listened. And I'm okay. A broken leg never hurt nobody."
"Except the one who broke his leg," I blurted. He grinned at me, his pain forgotten.
"Smart as-aleck," he commented, slipping on his words. "Go on, get settled in the dorms. I'll be better in no time."
"Yessir," I called, standing. I held my hand to my forehead, in a salute, before throwing my hand back at my side and marching out.
"Wacko!" He yelled after me, but I heard a bit of laughter in his voice.
_______
The next day, after I had settled in all my junk, I went out to check on Lukas at the hospital. He wasn't there, the nurse informed me.
"Where would he be?" I asked the retreating nurse, who looked twice my age. She turned around and glared at me for keeping her.
"Training some brats, I suppose! Now leave me alone, I have work to do! Hmph!" She walked away quickly.
I walked away, even though I wanted to know where the training area would be. I found a teenager my age walking around, and started running toward him. He looked over at me and glared for a second. I stopped in my tracks.
"You're the one who got my brother hurt," he sneered at me. "God, you visited him in the hospital yesterday, and he said you were nice! You freaking left him. That's. Not. Nice."
"I didn't mean to," I cried, wiping my face. His eyes changed, softening his features.
"You feel bad."
"No dip Sherlock!" I yelled, covering my eyes. He closed the gap between us and hugged me.
"I'm sorry for yelling. I was just mad that he got hurt on the job. Protecting another one of us."
"I'm sorry he got hurt." I whispered into his chest, hugging him back. He leaned down and almost kissed my hair.
"Ryan," he whispered almost under his breath.
"Elizabelle."