20. Covert Affairs

Another sad chapter, feel free to punch me. Don't be a ghost reader. Comment please. Enjoy.

-

Michael

We decided to head Washington two days earlier.

After the Washington shows, the boys and I would be accompanying Vera to see her parents. I really didn't want her going alone, and she didn't protest thankfully.

I was currently having a hard time believing the car accident was Vera's fault. She didn't really give any other details. She just kept saying it was her fault cause she was the one driving.

Had she been drinking? Was she driving recklessly? I highly doubt it.

Whatever it was that caused the accident, it weighed down on my baby's shoulders and fed her guilt.

Vera was tucked away in her bunk. She had been all morning. She only came out once to grab a bottle of Mountain Dew and she was wearing Ashton's My Little Pony 'Ponies Forever' shirt and leggings.

We let her be for a few hours, just playing FIFA on the Xbox.

After a while, I decided to check on her. I grabbed some more Mountain Dew and headed to the bunk room. I knocked lightly on the door before going in.

"Babe, are you awake?" I asked quietly.

The curtain on the top bunk opened and revealed a wide awake ombre haired girl. Vera was snuggled up under her Transformers blanket, with her laptop watching Netflix.

"I brought some more Mountain Dew." I held out a bottle. She took it and scooted over, making room for me. I climbed in and pulled her to me.

"What are you watching babe?" I smiled, looking at the screen to see a blonde woman swiping a key card and opening a door.

"Covert Affairs. It's about a CIA agent." She explained, her slender fingers playing with my pale hand.

~

After three or four episodes, Vera suddenly spoke up.

"Poor Annie has to feel guilty for lying and not being able to save someone." She sighed sadly.

I stared at the girl in my arms. I was at a loss for words. Poor Annie? Poor Vera. She really felt responsible for her brother's death. There had to be some sort of explanation for the car accident.

There were holes in her story and they needed to be filled. And I planned on asking her parents. They had to know.

God, I sound like a Detective. Detective Clifford. I smirked internally.

Stop that Michael, now is not the time.

"How do you feel about seeing your parents again?" I asked, pushing a lock of hair behind Vera's ear. She shrugged and kept her gaze on the laptop.

"I'm kinda 50/50 about it right now. On one hand, I've missed them so much but on the other hand, I can't help but feel like they hate me. I mean, I killed their only son and ran away."

I sat up suddenly, propping myself up by my forearm.

"Don't say that. You are not a killer." I said, my voice deep and stern.

Vera looked at me with wide eyes. She opened her mouth but no words came out. She bit her lip and stayed silent. I gathered her back in my arms and hugged her tightly. She hugged me back just as hard, grabbing fistfuls of my shirt.

I kissed her forehead.

~

Calum

I heard what Vera said as I was passing through the bunks to go to the bathroom.

Vera isn't a killer.

She's sweet, funny, kind and beautiful. She's like a sister to me. She came into our lives and made us love her and we let her. She's anything but a killer.

And I'm sure her parents are as worried as I am for her.

I wanted to know the full story as much as the other boys and I hoped we'd learn it soon. I wanted to give Vera a big bear hug and just make her guilt disappear. It's hurts to see her so sad.

I wanted our happy shiny sparkle Vera back.

The girl that pretends she doesn't sing or play guitar but sings along at our shows. The girl who loves movies, cuddling and cookies. The girl who likes to prank people and is in love with a certain blue haired guitarist.

I loved that Vera.

I sighed and continued to the bathroom.

~

Ashton

I was dominating Luke (HAHA DADDY) at Mario Kart when Calum came back into the living area of the bus.

He plopped down on the sofa.

"HA! I win bitch!" I threw the controller down and giggled as Princess Peach stood at the top of the winners podium.

Luke groaned. This was the third time I beat him. I smiled in victory and turned around to Calum. My smile dropped when I saw the look on his tan face.

"Cal, what's wrong?" I asked and sat on the couch beside him.

"I overheard Vera and Michael's conversation. Vera thinks she's a killer."

The words shocked me. They seemed to shock Luke as well cause a look of horror appeared on his face. Why in the world would Vera think she's a killer? I'm sure as anyone else that Carter's death wasn't her fault.

Accidents happen all the time and there's always more than one side to the story.

"Fuck." Luke said from his spot on the floor, legs pulled to his chest.

I nodded. Yeah. Fuck.

-

What the actual fuck am I doing? This ending is shit. I wasn't even gonna add Ashton's pov but I just kept writing and bam. ALSO COVERT AFFAIRS! I LOVE THAT SHOW, PIPER PERABO IS AMAZING DON'T TOUCH ME.

Anyways, the next chapter will be happy and fluffy, please love me. :)

-Cristina