31. Long Way Home (Alternate Ending)

I'm an asshole. Sorry Gina. ☺

-

Michael knocked on the door of his mum's house, Vera's hand in his.

He was expecting his mum to hug him when she opened the door but instead he was met with a smack to the head.

"Michael Gordon Clifford why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend!? I had to find out from Liz and she only knew cause Luke told her!"

Karen Clifford shouted at her son as he stood smiling sheepishly.

"Sorry mommy. I love you?" He said in an attempt at an apology.

"Yeah kid, you better. It's wonderful to meet you Vera. I'd have liked to meet you sooner but unfortunately I gave birth to an idiot."

Vera chuckled and shook Karen's hand.

"It's lovely to meet you Mrs. Clifford. And I agree, Michael is an idiot. A cute idiot, but an idiot none the less."

Karen laughed and ushered the two of them inside. "I like her." She said as they entered the living room.

Michael sat down on the love seat and pulled Vera beside him.

"You kids want some kool-aid jammers? They're blue." Karen asked.

"Mum, we're eighteen, not eight." This earned Michael another smack but on the chest. "Shut up. You live for kool-aid. Yes please Mrs. Clifford." Vera smiled.

"Oh please, call me Karen." The blonde woman said as she handed the two legal adults their juice and sat down. She took a sip from her tea and watched silently as Michael tried to poke the straw into his drink but failed.

Vera rolled her eyes playfully as she took the drink from puppy dog-eyed Michael. She put the straw in with ease and received a kiss on the cheek as a thanks.

That's when Karen knew.

She knew her son had found 'the one'. Vera was perfect for him.

"So, how was the tour?" She asked, breaking the silence. Michael perked up.

"It was awesome mum, we had a lot of fun. Vera was amazing. She opened for us the last few dates." Michael gushed and squeezed Vera's hand.

"You sing?" Karen asked and Vera blushed.

"I do now, thanks to Sara. She told the boys and they made me sing for them. Then Michael suggested I open for them. It was crazy to sing in front of so many people but it was fun."

"Maybe you'll get signed." Karen said

"That's what I said!" Michael shouted excitedly.

"Michael you are yelling." Karen scolded and Vera bit her lip to keep from smiling.

She quickly stopped though when Michael gave her a look. She knew that look.

The three talked for another half hour before Michael said they had to go. Karen stood up and hugged her son, giving him a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you." She said and Michael blushed. "Love you too mum." He said as she ruffled his hair.

Karen then turned to Vera and pulled her into a hug. "It was great meeting you sweetie." "You too Karen." Vera hugged back.

"Make my boy happy." She said quietly but Michael heard.

"She already does mum." He smiled lovingly at the two most important women in his life.

"See ya later kids." Karen yelled as the couple got into Michael's car. They waved and drove off.

-