Chapter 20

Everyone took a few minutes to catch their breathes. We were all sprawled out everywhere, panting and exhausted from the fight. Vanitas and I were sitting next to each other as we leaned up against the wall, his arm was around my shoulders as if he was still protecting me from some unknown danger. Naminé was sitting beside me, resting her head against my shoulder and hugging my arm tightly. She was probably scared.

Leon managed to catch his breathe first. He stood up straight and brushed some dirt from his shoulder. "That was an intense battle... But we didn't loose anyone."

"Who... Was that.. Guy?" I panted.

Leon frowned. "Sephiroth?" When I nodded, he continued. "He's a dangerous man. The Dark Depths is his home, and not only did we destroy it, we invaded it. We better steer clear from that area for a while."

Aerith cleared her throat to get everyone's attention. "I suggest that everyone go to their rooms and lay down. Not only so you can rest, but so I can tend to your wounds."

Like robots, everyone followed her orders. Naminé got off of me and drowsily walked to her room. I yawned and rested my head against the wall, watching lazily as everyone walked out of the main entrance to the house. I felt Vanitas' arm lift up from my shoulders and instead, they were placed behind my back while his other hand came behind my knees. Vanitas picked me up in his arms and cradled me like a child. I rested my head against his chest and closed my eyes.

He didn't take me to my room or his. Instead we were back at the fireplace, where Vanitas laid down on the couch and let me lay on top of him. He placed his arms around me comfortingly and I heard him smirk.

"You did well for someone without any magic." He said. I felt his lips kiss the top of my head. I smiled, but didn't open my eyes.

I was glad that we were back here, and I was back in his arms. Today was stressful, and resting like this with someone I loved was satisfying. Vanitas seemed to be getting closer and more attached to me. He wasn't embarrassed to be cuddling me or soothing me. He seemed comfortable with me now, and that made me happy. Vanitas wasn't the cold and emotionless boy he once was. I felt that since Xehanort is dead, Vanitas had a burden lifted up off his shoulders. He seemed a lot more relaxed now that the old man was gone.

I heard someone walk into the room and I only opened my eyes a little to see who was coming in. Aerith sat down in the edge of the couch and placed her hand gently on my back.

"You two seem comfortable." She said with a smile giggle. I simply nodded in response and snuggled closer to Vanitas, who patted my head.

"Very." Was Vanitas' reply.

He didn't growl or tell her to go away, which was a first. I was proud of him.

"Zara let me see that wound in your face so I can heal as much as I can."

I lifted my head just enough so she could see the wound. Aerith gently placed her hand on the wound and I felt the throbbing pain go away. Vanitas smiled a bit as he watched the ugly thing disappear.

"There's still a small scar there, but that can't be helped." Aerith told me. She healed Vanitas as well then stood up and turned to the fire. I saw her begin to make the fire place burn bright, which warned us up once more.

"Thanks Aerith." I said quietly. I was too tired to talk, which resulted in me resting my head against Vanitas once more and bury my face into his chest.

"Don't push yourselves." Was all Aerith said before walking away to tend to the others.

There was a long silence between Vanitas and I. The only noise I heard was Aeriths soft whispers from the other rooms and the sound of the fire cracking and popping. Being in his arms again and cuddling like this made me smile. It also reminded me of when Zoro used to cuddle me as well when our father got angry with us. But being like this with Vanitas was... Different. I felt content, and happy.