Rumors And A Dinner Invitation

Ophelia was feeling extremely proud of herself the next day for acing a mildly complex potion in class. She was just about to walk out with her friends when she hear Snape call her.

"Ms. Kingsley. A word please."

Hermione raised an eyebrow and Ophelia shrugged.

"I'll meet you guys at our next class."

Her friends waved at her and she turned to face her godfather. He was standing at the front of the class. He motioned for her to come. Nervously she made her way to the front.

"Yes Godfather?"

He motioned for her to sit at the empty desk and pulled a chair up in-front of the desk. She sat down anxiously fiddling with her necklace.

"Is something wrong," Ophelia asked.

He was staring directly at her and she shifted nervously in her seat, trying to figure out what she could have possibly done.

"I've heard some rumors," Snape said slowly, "About a party. And a boy-"

She quickly interrupted him, "It wasn't my fault! I didn't even know him and I wasn't even thinking! Nothing happened I promise! Draco stepped in and saw to that! I'm so sorry that I was so careless! It won't ever happen again! Please don't be mad!"

Snape raised an eyebrow in surprise, "Ophelia I'm not mad at you. I was just," He paused searching for the right words, "Concerned. Why didn't you come to me?"

"I-Oh well. It all happened rather suddenly. And if my friends hadn't said anything about it the next day I wouldn't have remembered."

He looked at her with concern written all over his face, "You know that you can come to me the next time you're in trouble."

She nodded, "I promise you I will. Is that all?"

He nodded and dismissed her. He watched silently as she gathered her things and rushed out the door. He sighed. He had promised her parents that he would look out for her and keep her out of trouble. And yet he had to find out about this incident from the other staff members. He made a mental note to keep a closer eye on her.

**********************************************

Draco and Ophelia were walking out of the library after one of their study sessions. She was very proud of the progress they were making and extremely proud that Draco's grades were improving.

"So just finish copying my notes tonight and you can give me my notebook back tomorrow before classes," She was saying.

She wasn't looking where she was going and almost bumped into a very tall man in a dark black suit. He had long blond hair, piercing blue eyes, and was carrying a long cane in his gloved hands and looked he looked down at her. Draco turned white.

"Oh, forgive me! I'm so sorry Sir!" Ophelia said rushing to apologize.

"You must be the new student. Ms. Kingsley I presume," He said still staring at her.

"Oh um, yes Sir."

"How interesting. Draco," The man said turning to address him, "You simply must invite her to have dinner with us this weekend."

Ophelia's jaw dropped as she realized who the man was. Draco's father. She stood there stunned for a moment, unable to form words.

"I think she already has plans Father," Draco tried to say quickly.

His father turned to her, "Do you now? How unfortunate."

"Um, I-" She stuttered not sure how she should respond.