Devastation

Ophelia was in herbology class the next day when Professor McGonagall walked in suddenly.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt Professor Sprout. But I need to see Ms. Kingsley immediately. Professor Dumbledore sent for her."

"Oh yes well then of course," Professor Sprout said.

Ophelia quickly followed Professor McGonagall out of the door and hurried to keep up with her.

"Professor, is everything all right?"

"I don't know dear," She replied, "Dumbledore received a letter and told me to fetch you right away!"

Professor McGonagall led her to Professor Dumbledore's office and quickly ushered her into the room. Much to Ophelia's surprise Snape was standing in the room as well. She looked at him quizzically and he shrugged, indicating that he had no idea what was going on as well.

"Thank you Minerva," Dumbledore said.

He turned his attention to Ophelia, "Ophelia my dear. I've just received a rather disturbing letter. I'm afraid it's about your parents."

She felt her stomach dropped and her felt her heart skip a beat.

"What happened? A-are they alright Professor," She whispered.

Professor Dumbledore looked down at her solemnly, "There's been a terrible incident. While on there travels your parents were attacked....they were burned at the stake. I'm afraid they're dead. I'm so sorry Ophelia."

She heard Professor McGonagall gasp and felt Snape wrap his arm around her. She could barely comprehend what Professor Dumbledore had said. Her parents? Dead? It couldn't be. Her parents were spectacular wizards. How could they allow this to happen?

Dumbledore turned to Snape handing him the letter, "Their will was included. It seems as though they want you to have full custody of the girl."

Snape scanned the letter quickly. Ophelia felt the room spinning, her vision blurred as her eyes welled up with tears, and her knees grew weak. She fell to the floor and a cry escaped her lips as tears streamed down her face. The sound that came out of her was unholy. It was the sound of someone's heart shattering into a million pieces.

**********************************************

Ophelia had spent an entire three weeks in bed in a daze. She had barely moved. Professor Dumbledore had excused her from all of her classes for as long as she needed. Hermione kept trying to bring her food but she left it untouched. How could she eat when it felt like there was a massive part of her that was ripped out of her. It felt as though there was a giant hole left in her chest and it ached every time she thought about her parents. She could believe that she was never going to be able see them again. That she would never speak to them again, or hug them, or hear the sound of their voices. She would never be able to tell them that she loved them again. She pictures their smiling faces the last time she had seen them on the day that they sent her off to Hogwarts. Ophelia curled up into a ball and squeezed her eyes shut, as hot tears fell down her cheeks, wishing she could shut out the world as well.

**********************************************

Hermione walked down the stairs into the common room with another untouched plate of food. The boys were sitting around solemnly and looked up as soon as she entered.

"Any luck," Harry asked.

"What do you think," Hermione said putting the plate down on the table in front of them.

Ron looked down and shook his head. The twins looked at each other concerned.

"I don't know what to do," Hermione said sitting down and sighing, "I've never felt so useless in my life."

Ron looked at the floor, "I can't even imagine how she's feeling right now."

Harry smiled sadly, "I can."

They all went silent. Hermione groaned exasperatedly.

"There has to be something we can do! She's barely moved from that bed!"

The five of them sat there thinking and ultimately coming up short.

"I hate to say it," Hermione said slowly, "But maybe...maybe we should get Draco involved."

"What," Ron said indignantly, "why?"

"He's been really worried about her," Hermione replied, "He's been asking about her all week. And besides. They're really close."

Harry shook his head, "I will still never understand that."

"I know," Hermione replied, "But he really does care about her and he's been worried sick about her."

The boys looked at each other before finally agreeing.

"Good," Hermione said, "It's settled."

**********************************************

Ophelia groaned, "Hermione please I just want to go back to bed."

Hermione had forced her to get out of bed and was now dragging her across the yard and away from Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry Ophelia, but it's for your own good!"

Once Hogwarts was out of sight Hermione dragged her to a tree where Draco was standing waiting for them. Ophelia looked at Hermione confused.

"You have one hour," Hermione said to Draco.

He nodded gratefully, "Thank you."

Ophelia just stood there. She looked absolutely awful. She was wearing a ratty shirt and old sweatpants. Her hair was pulled up into a messy bun and she had dark circles under her eyes. Her face looked pale and thin and she played with her fingers absentmindedly. Draco walked over and took her hand gently and led her to the tree. He sat down and patted the ground next to him. She sat down numbly. He looked at her clearly worried.

"Are you ok? How are you holding up?"

Ophelia  just started at her hands, "I'm not really sure. I just can't comprehend how people could be in your life one minute and gone the next. I had so many things I wanted to tell them. I wanted to tell them all about Hogwarts, my friends, you, and now-" Her voice cracked as she started sobbing, "Now I'll never be able to."

He pulled her into his arms instantly, letting her sob into his chest. He stroked her hair and rested his head on the top of hers. He held her for a long time and she cried until she couldn't cry anymore. And oddly. It felt good. She hadn't cried that hard since the day she had found out. She sat up sniffing.

"I'm sorry," She said trying to wipe his tear stained shirt, "I've completely ruined your shirt."

Draco wiped the remaining tears from her face smiling softly, "It's alright, I have others."

Ophelia laughed softly as she sniffed and toyed with his buttons, "Thank you."

He cupped her face in his hands and made her look up, "For what?"

She shrugged, "For listening to me. I haven't really talked to anyone about it yet."

Draco pressed a kiss to her forehead, "I will always be here for you. I hope you know that."

Tears started forming in her eyes again and she gave him a small smile.

"That means more to me then you'll ever know."

He smiled at her and pressed a few more kisses to her forehead, "You mean more to me then you'll ever know. I'd do just about anything for you. I hope you know that."

She shoved him lightly, "Stop being mushy. I don't think I have the energy to cry again."

He laughed and pulled her to her feet, "Come on. I'd better get you back before your friends think I kidnapped you."

Ophelia laughed lightly and sniffled taking his hand. Together they walked off back towards Hogwarts. She felt a little better. It still hurt, but she had desperately needed that reminder to let her know that she wasn't completely alone. That she still had friends and people she could depend on. People who cared about her and who were concerned for her. And for a brief minute, the world didn't seem so dark anymore.