The Hogwarts Ball

On the afternoon of the ball all of the students were excitedly getting ready. The whole castle was buzzing with energy and even the professors were bustling about. Decorating the halls and corridors with all sorts of ribbons and lamps and flowers. Ophelia was in her dorm with Hermione and Luna Lovegood. Luna was Harry's date and Ron had finally worked up the nerve to ask Hermione to be his four days before the ball. The three girls giggled and chatted excitedly as Hermione did the girls hair, Luna helped everyone get into their dresses, and Ophelia did the girl's make up.

"Hermione tells me you've never been to a ball before," Luna said as she watched Ophelia put the finishing touches on her makeup.

Ophelia was facing the mirror putting on a dark red matte lipstick to contrast the bright gold eyeshadow and dark black eyeliner she had done. She turned to face Luna who was wearing a lovely lavender dress and smiled at her.

"Yes it's my very first!"

Hermione sat on her bed and leaned back, "Are you excited Ophelia?"

"Excitedly, nervous, scared out of my mind. Absolutely!"

The girls giggled and Ophelia smoothed out her dress one last time before turning to face her friends, holding out her arms, and spinning.

"Well? What do we think?"

Luna clapped her hands softly, "You look darling!"

"Really Ophelia," Hermione said, "You look absolutely stunning!"

The clocks chime 6 and the girls looked up in surprise.

"We had better put on our shoes and go! The boys will be waiting for us," Hermione said.

"Oh I'd better not fall and make a fool of myself," Ophelia said slipping on a pair of black strapped heels.

The girls laughed as they made their way out of their dorms and down to the grand staircase. Just before they came around the corner Ophelia froze. Luna kept going and hurried down to meet Harry, who was waiting at the bottom of the staircase with Ron, the twins, Draco, and Cedric, who were bickering furiously. Hermione could sense Ophelia's uneasiness and stopped.

"Ophelia what's wrong," Hermione asked putting her hand on her best friend's arm.

Ophelia was frozen on the spot, her hands absentmindedly fiddled with the necklace Draco had given to her.

"Hermione I don't think I can do this," She whispered, "I'm too nervous!"

Hermione smiled at her understandingly, "Do you want me to go down first? That way it'll give you a minute to take some deep breaths and steady your nerves?"

Ophelia nodded and gave her a grateful smile, "Would you? I'd really appreciate it!"

Hermione gave her arm an encouraging squeeze and made her entrance down the staircase. Ron watched her adoringly and held out his hand to her when she reached the bottom. Draco and Cedric were still arguing bitterly and Hermione rolled her eyes at them.

"I swear to Merlin Diggory if you try any funny business tonight with Ophelia I'll kill you," Draco was saying.

Cedric smirked and crossed his arms, "Threatened much Malfoy? What's wrong? Scared she'll like dancing with me better?"

"Oh really you two! Cut it out," Hermione scolded, "The poor girl is already nervous enough as it is! She doesn't need you two nitwits bickering over her like a couple of two year olds!"

Draco opened his mouth to say something but he was quickly interrupted by Fred Weasley, whose eyes were transfixed on the staircase.

"Bloody hell Ophelia! You look incredible!" Fred exclaimed his eyes glued to him.