Surprise

Jacks POV:

We were all on guard after Emma's vision. She followed me like a shadow after our conversation, jumping at any noise that sounded out of the ordinary. One day, I asked her to go check on how Bunny was doing in the decoration area to see if he needed help. She asked me several times if I was sure.

"I promise Emma, if anything happens I will come find you immediately." She sighed and nodded before flying off, hesitating and glancing behind her once more before floating off. I quickly rushed over to Sandy, who was lighting a few of the tunnels with his sand to keep an eye on things.

"Sandy she needs to sleep, she is driving herself crazy. Even if it's just for an hour." He looked at me and put a question mark above his head.

"You seriously haven't noticed her following me around? Not that I mind, I guess, but she needs some time to...settle down." He shrugged and nodded. I hopped back over to where I was and sat down. Emma came flying in a few minutes later and her face showed obvious relief when she saw everything was the way it was when she left. I patted the rock beside me and she sat down.

"I understand that you're scared Emma, but everything will be okay. We know when she plans to come around. We're ready. I don't mind that we hang out but I told you, I'll always be right here. Please just...take a rest." A strange expression passed over her face and she looked away.

"I've been...overbearing the past few days I guess... I'm just...scared." I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and sighed.

"I know. We all are. But we can handle this." Suddenly, chilling laughter echoed around the corridors as mist filled the room.

"Awe. Isn't this touching? Where are the rest of your friends?" We whipped around to see Motera standing in the center of the room, unaware of Sandy behind her. North, Tooth, and Bunny all rushed in. They all glanced at Emma, who had gone completely white.

"Let's get started, shall we?" She lifted her hands as her vines became stiff like javelins. Suddenly they were aimed at both North and Emma. While North dove out of the way, Emma was frozen. I grabbed her waist and pulled her out of the way, flying through the air and landing beside Bunny, still trying to keep the attention away from Sandy, who was making heavy ropes out of his dream sand.

I leapt into the air, creating a mini blizzard to shroud myself and the others as I began to attack.

"Stupid Frost. You think that will protect you?" I barely dodged several vines, one of them cutting me in the side, another swatting me out of the air. I landed next to Emma who jumped and knelt next to me.

"Jack... oh god." I sat up rubbing my head.

"Ugh, that hurt... C'mon she's not gone yet!" I shouted to the others as I flew off again. They nodded and followed me.

"Jack no!" She shouted. I barely had time to react when another vine came straight at me, faster than I could dodge it. Suddenly I was shoved backwards. There, in front of me, Emma was impaled on the vine. The one that was meant for me, blood dripping from her lips, dragging shallow breaths between her lips.

"You'll always be here." She whispered as the vine was yanked out of her. She began to fall.

"NO!" I screamed as I caught her. The others appeared in front of us, fending Motera off while Sandy continued to work on his rope, looking as if he was almost finished. I focused on Emma, who's breaths appeared to be getting more shallow. I began to hyperventilate. Think, think, think, think, think!

Got it. I placed my hands over the wound and began to slowly freeze it shut, starting from the inside and working my way out. Hopefully this can work as a temporary solution until I can get her to Man in the Moon. It took everything out of me but after I finished I collapsed, breathing heavily. I looked up to see Motera gone, and the others were watching me intently.

"We need...Moon...she's...dying..." I panted. They nodded. North picked up Emma, while Bunny grabbed my staff and put me on his back. We all took off, quickly heading towards the surface.

As we broke through to the surface, North and Bunny set Emma and I on the ground. I walked over to her, kneeling beside her and looked up at the moon.

"Please...she doesn't deserve this...she saved me...please..." I whispered and dropped my head. The ice I had placed on her wounds began to melt and her wounds began to heal. I gasped and looked up at Emma's face, slightly scrunched up in pain. I held her hand as her wounds were entirely healed, her breathing evened out, though still a little shallow.

Her eyes shot open.