Spirits

Jack's POV:

After talking with Bunny, I began walking towards where I last saw North when suddenly, I felt fear and anxiety flash through me. I turned to where I told Emma to wait for me, only to see her glass broken on the ground.

I ran over, looking everywhere before seeing a flash of her dress disappearing out of the entrance of the ballroom, quickly following behind. My mind immediately jumped to Pitch or Motera, had they come back so soon? They were probably luring me into a trap or kidnapping her but I couldn't care about any of it. My only thoughts were on getting her back.

I raced through the entrance, before looking around frantically. Nothing. I gripped my hair in frustration before just starting to run down hallways, looking for any and every sign of her.

Suddenly, I heard a door slam and the unmistakable sound of a large lock. I ran to it, standing in front of the room I had brought her to earlier when I had confessed. Her anxiety was through the roof. She was just on the other side, gasping, when suddenly there was a large thud.

"Get away from me."

"C'mon gorgeous, don't hold back just because of your little ice boy back there. Let me show you what real fun is." Arawn. Disgust and guilt filled my chest before I saw a golden light coming from underneath the door.

"I said get away from me!" I heard her scream before there was the sound of glass shattering. I heard him groan before there was silence. I quickly knocked on the door.

"Emma! Stand back, I'm gonna come in!" Before I could freeze and bust down the door, the door was unlocked and there she stood, her hair a mess, and tears streaming down her face.

"Jack...I didn't..he kissed me...I didn't want him...to...I swear..." She choked out between sobs. I pulled her close as she cried into my chest and kissed the top of her head, rubbing her back.

"I know, Snowflake, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you alone. He won't touch you again." I felt the ice cold rage filling my veins again when I thought of how he hurt her. She looked up at me before taking a small step back.

"Jack? What are you gonna do?" I walked past her and held out my hand. A few seconds later my staff came flying into the room. I merely pointed it at Arawn's unconscious figure before blasting him with a glowing white and blue light. Just like that, he was frozen solid.

I took a few deep breaths, making sure I was calm before turning to face Emma who was staring at me, several emotions flashing acrossed her face before she settled on a small smile.

"Let me fix my hair and we'll go back to the party." I walked back over to her, taking her hand in mine.

"Are you sure? After what just happened, I don't know-"

"Its not like it's gonna happen again. Besides, there are other people there I wanna meet." She said, quickly adjusting her hair and wiping her face before turning to me. I nodded hesitantly.

"Fine. But I'm not leaving your side." She giggled and kissed my cheek. She had just been crying a minute ago, I could still feel a twinge of her guilt sitting deep in my chest, what was going on?

As we walked back in, North came up to us.

"Bunny said we needed to talk?"

"Arawn's frozen in your old office." I said curtly. He looked unsurprised and patted my shoulder.

"He must be unfrozen by the end of tonight." Was all he said before walking away to talk with the other guests. Emma smiled at me before we made our way over to a small group of people, one of them being a Cupid named Heather, who I only knew because she had been trying to shoot me with a love arrow for the past century.