Next Steps

Jack's POV:

We found the others out by the sleigh in a field. I set Emma, who was now asleep, down in the sleigh, sitting beside her so I didn't ruin Bunny's precious Easter grass.

"What happened?" North said, looking at the grim expression on my face. I looked over as Tooth and Bunny ceased their conversation, looking at me expectantly.

"Motera decided to stop in for a visit to check in and attempt more murder. Emma's pretty hurt but I froze her and her little twigs solid so we could escape. I don't know how we're gonna beat her..." I finished quietly, looking at Emma. Sandy came over, placing two fingers on her temple. He concentrated for a moment before smiling and patting my shoulder comfortingly. He must have an idea. I sighed and looked down at Emma's sleeping face. It's been awhile since she'd looked peaceful. Yeah she'd been smiling and joking around but she was still just tense because of everything. Now she just looked...peaceful.

I looked up in confusion as the others climbed in the sleigh. Bunny smirked at my expression.

"Ya musta missed it mate. Now that Easter's handled, we're headed to North's place to recollect and talk about things." I nodded and moved a little closer to Emma as we took off, making sure she wasn't disturbed too bad on the flight. After we arrived, I asked Sandy to help me maneuver her to the bed in my room. He nodded and I stayed in the Globe room with the others.

"I noticed that Sandy had an idea when he came over to check on her. We should wait for him." North shook his head.

"You should stay with her. Motera has already shown she will try to attack if we are separated and vulnerable. Emma needs protection." 'I couldn't agree more' I thought to myself as I nodded and quickly flew off in the direction of my room. Sandy was just tucking her under the covers, keeping her on her side, as I came in the room. He looked at me with a question mark above his head.

"North wants me to protect her while she rests. Why don't you go tell everyone about your idea, just tell them to keep me updated, k?" He nodded and rested his hand on my shoulder, looking back and forth between Emma and I before summoning a heart and question mark while looking at me. I laughed quietly.

"We're working it out buddy." He nodded and left the room. I kept my space from the bed, sitting on the dresser across the room while I simply waited for her to wake up. I began studying her features again. Now that we were in better lighting, her hair seemed like it was made of actual gold. She just seemed vibrant. I almost wished her eyes were open so I could study them...the never ending swirling colors. It was almost hypnotizing.

I slid off the dresser and crept a little closer to the bed, trying not to get too close. I didn't want to freeze the blankets, but she did have sweat beginning to form on her forehead and her eyebrows were furrowed.

"Jack...no...please..." She mumbled, her hand twitching. I reached towards it and held her hand lightly. She seemed to relax, only slightly as she gripped it tightly, slightly pulling me. I wondered if she was even sleeping. Maybe she was messing with me?

"Emma? Emma are you awake?" I muttered quietly. She didn't respond, just continued to barely pull and mumble my name. I set my staff against the wall and slid into the bed, on top of the blankets. Suddenly her arm snaked around my waist but otherwise she stayed where she was. I tensed up for a moment before putting my hand over hers and my arm behind my head. She seemed to relax and her breathing evened out. I'd have to ask her what she was dreaming about when she woke up.

I laid there for a good 12 hours simply listening to her breathing, checking for any sign of discomfort and keeping an eye on her skin tone in case she got too cold. I tried getting up a few times to check in for any updates but every time I tried, she simply held me tighter so I gave up on that after the third try. I noticed she began to stir around the time that the moon began to rise. I moved over a little, giving her more room as she woke up. As she opened her eyes, they met mine and I felt my breath stop for a moment.

Deep galaxy purple. Almost immediately, the other colors began to infiltrate as she woke up more. She sat back a little bit and I shook myself out of my thoughts and immediately stood up.

"Umm...s-sorry you looked like you were u-upset and...you uh...you said my name so...I thought it might help...help you uh...sleep better..." I looked away and began rubbing the back of my neck. She probably thought I was a complete freak. I didn't see her get out of bed until I looked up and she was standing in front of me. I held my breath as she kissed my cheek.

"Thank you for keeping an eye on me while I slept." She said softly. I felt my face heat up and smiled. Suddenly, Tooth burst into the room.

"We finally have an upd-oh I'm sorry did I interrupt?" We both jumped and took a step back.

"No no...uh...I'll be right there Tooth. Emma's just gonna uh, get ready. " I looked at her quickly as she nodded, blushing slightly. Tooth nodded, squinting her eyes slightly in suspicion before she shrugged and left. I grabbed my staff and gave Emma a quick kiss on the cheek.

"See you out there, Snowflake." She blushed again and shoved me lightly.

"I'll be right there, frostbite." I laughed as I left the room. As I got closer to the Globe room, my mood shifted slightly. I hope the update was a plan of sorts. I landed and walked in through the archway, the elves and yetis moving out of the way. Sandy looked at me and gave me two thumbs up. I smiled and waited for Emma or someone to talk, whichever came first.

As she walked in, North clapped, the sound echoing off the walls.

"Emma, we must know why Motera struck sooner. We must know what changed." She sucked a breath in through her teeth.

"I wish I could help, but I can only see the future. I don't have any clue why she suddenly changed her mind. She didn't mention her father though. Maybe she actually found him..." That wouldn't be good. If Motera and Pitch were working together, we wouldn't have enough power to withstand them both. We all looked around grimly, Sandy no longer seeming optimistic anymore.

"Okay so what can we do if that's the case?" Emma looked up at the moon gravely, seemingly knowing something we didn't. I walked over to her.

"What is it?" She sighed and looked at me.

"It would mean I would have to freeze time...for a long time...Manny would need to reset...things..." I took a step back. I was almost scared to ask.

"What...what things?" She raised a shaky hand and placed it in mine, giving me a sad smile.

"Just Motera, Pitch, and I... they would be off somewhere else. No memory of what happened, seemingly thinking we had no part in their separation, plotting a different evil scheme..." I took a shallow breath.

"What about you..." I whispered.

"I wouldn't remember anything about myself...or you...I would be...reset."